Let's talk about RO lump once more

Well, this morning I put 17.7# of Boston Butt on the WSM with a full ring of RO Lump, and water in the pan.
I lit a half-chimney of RO and poured it on the ring, which contained 6 tennis ball size chunks of dry Hickory.
Then I assembled the smoker, added the meat, temp probes and put the lid on with all vents wide open.
5 minutes later the temp in the smoker was 247!!
I like that the temp came up so quick, but it's a good thing I was watching it carefully, being the first lump cook and all.
4 hours later, we're at 235 at the grate, and 136 in one of the butts. This may be a quick cook. I'll check meat temps carefully as it approaches 190.

I use RO a fair bit and like most it really boils down to the mix of price/quality/availability.

While RO quality can be hit and miss (some bags have lots of chips), it's still better then the alternative and you always know you can buy at any number of sources for a reasonable price. I have tried some "gourmet" type charcoal and yes it was nice. It was larger and more dense, but when i look at the finished product I don't see a large difference between those and RO.

I have a charcoal bin that I dump my bags into. Typically I take care to load the bottom inch of the ring so nothing falls through. Then you can add the small pieces on top without too much concern.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Did you pack the ring well or dump it in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply(s) Kevin,
I dumped it in, then gave the whole thing a little bit of a pat-down.
Probably too much air flow from too much space between the pieces? Could also have been the wood blazing, I suppose.

Yes.I usually ignore opening readings - or I'll peek to see if wood has ignited, which can often cause ersatz 'spikes'. Too, not packing lump can allow for more airflow and earlier ignition.

Also, when using R.O. Lump -

Be aware that there are several varieties of it:
-Wally World usually seems to carry the US-made stuff, which I find to be decent
-Menard's carries their "steakhouse" lump, in Green bags. From what I've been hearing, it's the same stuff as above, in a different bag
-Then there are several RO Lumps that come from Brazil, etc. I have not used this stuff, but I hear that it burns differently, and may not have the same flavor profile.

The thing that I find with RO Lump is that the small pieces tend to plug-up the lower grate a bit after a while. I have a bent metal rod, that I use at around 4 hours into the cook - to give the coals a stir & knock some of the small stuff through. If I see my temps falling, a 30-second poke & stir usually gets things back to normal again for at least 2 hours or more.
(I use the two charcoal grates, crossed)

Thanks for all the replies,
We're currently at 247 grate, 176 meat.
I've had to stir the coals twice. Looks like what's left might not make it to the end.
I'll light another partial chimney if necessary.

(Drinking Bud Light and currently listening to Van Halen on my iPod)

you're killin' me..........I'm stuck at my computer on the nicest day of the year and you're jamming to VH, drinking beer and smoking large pieces of meat!!!

sounds like you're on the way to some deelish PP.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwayne e:
you're killin' me..........I'm stuck at my computer on the nicest day of the year and you're jamming to VH, drinking beer and smoking large pieces of meat!!!

sounds like you're on the way to some deelish PP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sooooo sorry, Dude. C'mon by, I'll share!
Just added another 1/3 chimney, that'll take it home.

"Runnin' with th' Devil..."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwayne e:
you're killin' me.......... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"She was a fast machine,
Kept her motor clean,
She was the best little woman I've ever seen."

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!
Over 12 hours, smoker running 300+, neither butt done <195.
They were probably not completely thawed when I put them on this morning.
I've had them in foil for over an hour on the WSM, no joy. Just brought them in and put them in the oven. Don't have time to sit out there anymore and watch them temps.

Note to self: Thaw Completely before smoking!

I use RO lump myself and also use K briquettes at times but finding I now more and more am using the ro lump for smoking on wsm and for general grilling on the otg. I get desired results- some pieces large, some small-just depends on the bag you get! I just sort and use the smaller ones for a quick hot grill session and save the larger chunks for long smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
My first lump experience was with Cowboy, and that stuff is appropriately named, since it sounds like cowboys in a gunfight when it is burning. The sparks were like Chinese New Year coming out of the chimney. I now use RO, and like it alot. My brother can get it from Sysco in 25 pound bags at a really good price, so that's where I get it. I use pretty much use it exclusively now for grilling, the flavor can't be beat. I still use K though for long smokes. And yes, it burns considerably hotter in my experience. For super hot searing, like tuna, it is unmatched. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My last experience with RO lump was like Mike R's with Cowboy. Not only did it spark like crazy in the chimney, it kept on the fireworks show in the grill. Not pleasant. Maybe I got a bad bag.

I have gotten great flavour with Maple Leaf, but get many small pieces. Trying Wicked Good lately, very dense charcoal. Monster chunks. Have had brief experience with Lazzari Mesquite, great flavour for direct grilling.

I agree about filling the ring - the WSM seems to be able to extinguish the fire with all vents closed. My last rib cook had a full ring of Wicked Good, used about 1/3 and have the rest for reuse. I was happy about that as this lump is not cheap here.

I use Lazzari's Mesquite up here in the Idaho Panhandle. I get 40 pounds for $20.. I mostly used it for grilling on my performer, and relied on kingsford competition grade for long smokes. But I gave it try last night after reading about how to pack it tightly for long smokes (use the smale pieces to pack around the big pieces and fill the air space). That made a lot of sense so I tried it on my 22.5 WSM last night. The results were fantastic:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/fo...owthread.php?t=80776

40 pounds for $20 ? Nice ! I paid about $22 for the 18 lbs of Wicked Good.

I'd be interested to know where you got that. Near Sandpoint somewhere ? Might have to go camping that way this summer.

I was in Mexico last month and saw bags of oak charcoal - was sorely tempted but the luggage was full.

Mark B, I get it at the 1910 smokin' woods company in Hayden Lake which is about 50 miles south of Sandpoint, and 10 miles north of Coeur d'Alene. http://www.1910smokingwoodcompany.com/

If you are planning a camping trip make it on Father's day weekend June 19-2... That same company is sponsoring a sanctioned pitmasters competition at the fairgrounds. My team, Rub 'em Raw BBQ is competing ...

There is a huge classic car show in town that weekend as well. Plus the circus will be at the fairgounds... plenty to do!

Funny this thread just started up, because I myself just started using Royal Oak this week. I've got 70ish bags of Regular K, but after trying Royal Oak lump - I'm sold for life. I'll NEVER use regular K when barbecuing again. The light flavor it adds to the meat is amazing - nothing like that chemically taste you get with regular K. I do have two (7lb.) on the smoker now with regular K. - Haven't quite got the understanding down quite yet to attempt using lump in the smoker, but I will! Anway cooked (3) LARGE Delmonico's and (3) Beautiful Filet Mignon on the performer with RO - this weekend - each and every person noted that it was the best steak they ever had.

I've noticed that you don't get NEAR the startup smoke you get with K - and it has a different, much more pleasant smell while heating up/cooking up.

I did use Big Green Egg, which I've read is just Royal Oak, but it's all that was available. I did order from doitbest.com Royal Oak Lump. Pricey, but worth every bit! Now I have get rid of this regular K.....

Anyone here find rocks in their RO lump after it burns down? I found two today after a spatch chicken cook. I thought these were only found in the CB lump!
icon_confused.gif

Back