Learned something new (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Haner

TVWBB Super Fan
I was setting up to do 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs yesterday when I noticed that my top grate had become quite rusted. Tried to remove the rust, but could not get it all off. I decided to just use tin foil over the grate and slice a few holes in it to let the grease flow through. Fired up the WSM, put 1/2 the ribs on the bottom and 1/2 on the top. Temp (measured at the dome) dropped to about 170 and struggled to get up to 220. All vents open, nice day and very little wind. 3 hours into the cook I go to turn the ribs over. Flipped the top ones, removed the top grate to turn the bottom ones. To my surprise the ones on the bottom were done, very done! I took them off and wrapped in foil and stuck them in the cooler. Continued to cook the others on the top grate for another 3 hours. The only thing I can think of is the foil on the top grate ( it was completely covered ) locked most of the heat in the middle of the WSM. Has anyone experienced something similar, or have any other explanation?

I would agree with your explanation.. The foil on the top rack created a much smaller and no doubt hotter environment for the ribs on the bottom. Maybe even some heat reflecting off back to the lower rack. This prevented a lot of heat from getting to the dome, resulting in a lower dome temp and also impeding the air flow to the top vent.

How were the ribs cooked on the bottom grate ?

Paul

The ribs on the bottom grate were fine, I don't think that would have been the case if I left them in for another 1/2 hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back