Leaded caps backordered... sub regular ones?

Chris Morris

The "leaded" capacitors (C5 and C6) are backordered from Mouser and showing ship dates of late August... I ordered the standard caps from Digi-key instead. Is that going to be a problem? I'm not familiar with the difference if any, between the leaded and regular electrolytic caps.

Leaded capacitors are just capacitors with leads. Maybe you're thinking leaded as in "contains lead" like I was when I initially heard it. The digikey ones should be fine UPW1A101MDD.

Mouser separates capacitors into through-hole (leaded) and SMD categories.

as long as you get an electrolytic capacitor of the same value and the same voltage or higher, and the cap is about the same size physically you should be good to go. There are lots of special purpose electrolytics out there for things like high temp operation, smooth audio performance, low impedance etc but I think pretty much any general purpose electrolytic would work here. You picked a low impedance cap which is fine. (I didnt check size or values)

but I think pretty much any general purpose electrolytic would work here
The Murata 5V regulator specifically calls for a low ESR capacitor. The load regulation changes depending on the ESR of the output, so in this case actually it does (at least theoretically) make a difference.

That said, it probably doesn't. However the caps from the parts list are available at Digikey so why get anything else?

My guess is it will be fine with about any decent electrolytic, one reason not to get the actual part would be making a special order from Digikey and paying that shipping fee.... Mouser has SO many caps, if this one is not an exact match I am sure you could find another that is low ESR with the same capacitance, even it you have to bump up the voltage a bit, as long as it fits in the space on the board it's all good.

The one I have linked above is the same exact dimensions, low impedance capacitor. The only notable differences I can see is the one I have linked cost more (negligible), and has a better ripple current and load life rating.

Cool, I was more or less providing the link to help others out who find that the originals are currently backordered.

Back