Lampe Method "She-cone"

Mark Skeet

TVWBB Pro
Never tried this method of cooking chicken but it makes too much sense not to try. Started the late afternoon in a rain delay. Had to get the tarp out.

Meanwhile, I relieved the bird of it's back and breast bones and marinated it in a "roadside-esque" marinade. After a few hours it got seasoned with a basic bbq seasoning and Galena Street.

Rain delay over. Let's start some coals!

WSM up to temp, added a couple of cherry chunks and started cooking.

Since this method is so simple, I got to sit back with a cocktail and watch. Tough to keep the patio doors clean with two dogs...

Half way point, looking good so far. Basted a couple times with leftover marinade.

All done. Good crispy skin. Juicy meat.

Plated up with brussels sprouts cooked in bacon, and jalepeno corn quinoa.

The chicken was perfect. For me, this is the best way to cook chicken on a grill. You can cook direct at 350 with no worry of flair ups. Thanks Jim for showing me the way!

Thanks for looking and have a great week!

OK, that looks really good!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Add that method to my list of things to try.

Nice cook mark!!! Had a similar day and believe it or not a very similar view thru my patio doors!

well, i'll tell ya Mark, your bird looks better than the one i cooked!
BUTT! my bird and your bird loved being cooked that way, you can tell when the folks eetin' it have SMILES on their faces!
Nice Cookin' buddy!

Thanks everyone!

If you have a WSM I encourage you to try cooking chicken this way. So simple and you really can get that delicious crispy skin without having to walk that fine line between crispy and burnt.

I tried this tonight: Roadside Chicken using the Lampe method.

I liked it!

To make things even trickier I used Frontier Lump for the first time and I only used 1 Weber chimney of it. At first I thought about adding more fuel but then I remembered the WSM has a lower cooking grate so I moved everything closer to the coals and the results were outstanding.

* The 20 lb. bag of Frontier Lump included some massive branches. It sparked a bit but I'd buy it again based on one cook.

Mark, this sells me on the Lampe method. Incredible looking chicken and the method looked easy. From your pictures looks like one full chimney did the full cook? How long did it take you, did you ever turn it? Was 350 your avg temp? That skin was a perfect result. Great job!

Rob and Marc,

I used a full chimney of Kingsford and ran it with all the vents open. I dropped a thermometer down to the grate a couple times to check the temp and it was around 350. I turned once for about 5 minutes to get a little more color. It took about an hour to cook. Very simple. Definately try it!

Mark

you'all are nutz!
icon_biggrin.gif

i didn't come up with this ide'rr... people been cookin' bird on the WSM without the waterpan for EONS!
don't go taggin' my name to this EZ way to eet shé~cone.... i only promoted the ide'rrr
icon_razz.gif

Back