La Caja China, anyone cook on one?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I watched the Throwdown show with Bobby Flay, a cookoff in Miami with the guy who i believe is the inventor of the "magic box" called the La Caja China. They were cooking 4 pork butts using the box.

Just curious if anyone cooked on one, how they compare to the weber, etc.

We did a whole hog at my hunting camp last season. I don't believe the hog was properly seasoned or marinated, but I wasn't really impressed with the cooker. It is very fast, but obviously that must mean high temp which I don't think works particularly well with a high fat content meat such as pork.

All that said, the cooker does have a flair and impresses lots of folks - especially those who have indulged in significant amounts of adult beverages.
icon_smile.gif

I prefer my pork in the form of boston butts, cooked at a lower temp on a WSM.

Paul

Well my dad and I are very impressed with ours.............even when we're SOBER! You cannot compare a CC to any smoker. It's apples and oranges. The seasoning and marinade can be present or not. If used properly it will produce fantastic results. The meat is fall apart tender and there is much to be said about the crispy skin, if you like eating it. The advantage is time and you give up the smokey flavor but tenderness is still there and then some. We actually put a wood box inside with some smoldering chips and are able to get a smokey flavor to a degree. We raise our own hogs.......and there is a lot to be said about grain fed vs. wild or slop fed hogs in terms of final taste. Just my two cents.

I have one as well and we were satisfied with the results. Not the best I have done but not the worst either. Like Rob says getting the smoke added is hard to do, we also use the chips to smolder but it doesn't work that good. We done a whole hog for the superbowl this year and it turned out as good as a butt on the WSM would have without the smoke flavor. The meat was tender and moist and crispy skin but just no smoke flavor. I have also done beer can chickens and a few other things in it that worked out great. It's basically a big oven with all the heat from the top. Yes it does takes lots of charcoal. It is impressive to show off for sure, we had a ton of people gathered around evertime we took the top off.

Randy

Back