Kettle rotisserie

Did somebody say Lamb on a rotisserie?

180031F7-30A8-4079-B433-1B0F81404DFA_zpsmkdhzorj.jpg

IMG_5347_zpsngoehujf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It sure is a great way to spend an afternoon. Here is a turkey I did, it was amazing!!

I'd like to know how the probes work on the rotisserie also.

I'm thinking the wires and temperature reader is also mounted onto the spit rod somehow on the handle to let it spin together, so the wires don't coil up. But then what does the contact point on the handle end look like? You still want a round smooth surface on the rod to allow it to spin nicely.

How do you use probes with the rotisserie, I envision them spinning all over the place.

I added a metal sleeve, you can just see it on the bottom of the picture, the probe wires go through that so they don't rub on the edge of the grill. The probes go to the Igrill2 that is rubber banded to the handle. The whole works then spins.

Last edited:
The Cajun Bandit rotisserie kit runs on two D batteries, with an optional AC adapter. It's the same price as the Weber unit, too. I'm strongly leaning toward getting one, but I can't decide between the 18 (for my JJ and WSM) or the 22 (for my kettle, and the Performer I'll get someday). I'd really like the option of multiple chickens or a decent-sized (12-14 lb) turkey, so I'm thinking the 22 would be best.

IF you haven't done it yet, I'd say get the one for the kettle. I tend to rotisserie at higher than smoking temps.

I added a metal sleeve, you can just see it on the bottom of the picture, the probe wires go through that so they don't rub on the edge of the grill. The probes go to the Igrill2 that is rubber banded to the handle. The whole works then spins.

That metal sleeve at the bottom of the photo looks to be square. The spit rod is also square, but at the handle end there's 1/4" section that is round. This is where the rod rests on the black outer wall for easy spinning. The wire must cross that round section making it not perfectly round anymore. Doesn't the constant rubbing of the outer wall edge as it spins wear down/chew thru the wire as it spins?

I guess the stainless steel braiding on the wire makes all the difference to prevent the wire from being sliced up at that spin point.

That metal sleeve at the bottom of the photo looks to be square. The spit rod is also square, but at the handle end there's 1/4" section that is round. This is where the rod rests on the black outer wall for easy spinning. The wire must cross that round section making it not perfectly round anymore. Doesn't the constant rubbing of the outer wall edge as it spins wear down/chew thru the wire as it spins?

I guess the stainless steel braiding on the wire makes all the difference to prevent the wire from being sliced up at that spin point.
The sleeve is round and it covers the part where rod is round. It is held centered with set screws and thumb screws. It is really a simple design. I would get a picture of it, but I've seemed to have placed it "somewhere safe, where I wont loose it...."

Cool idea Andrew! I have been using my 22 1/2 for ages and I must admit, I have never seen the need for constant temp monitoring, I use the time per pound method and the only times I have been disappointed are when guests decide that dinner time is at their convenience! I ended up with a way over done standing rib roast one time when they were late by an hour and a half! No amount of knowing what the internal temp was would have made any difference.
I have since taken to lying to guests about dinner time! It's much easier on my blood pressure!

The sleeve is round and it covers the part where rod is round. It is held centered with set screws and thumb screws. It is really a simple design. I would get a picture of it, but I've seemed to have placed it "somewhere safe, where I wont loose it...."

Ah, the sleeve is round. Makes a lot of sense now.

Now I need to find me one of those.

A buddy of mine told me to try wrapping a pineapple in bacon and spinning it. I'm considering that as an additional goodie for the ham for Easter! I will let you know how it turns out, ooh, sorry bad pun! I will go stand in the corner!

Back