Kettle and Lump

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey gang

I really prefer lump. However the charcoal grate in both my Performer and WSM really is better suited for briqs.

What have you guys/gals done to prevent the little pieces of lump from falling through so easy. I saw one guy on YouTube using expanded metal - seems like a good idea.

Expanded metal works perfect, just get some, place your charcoal grate on it, trace a circle with a marker and cut it out with a grinder.

Some people put two grates together at ninety degrees, making a mesh.

This is what I do. The little pieces of lump are a pain in the neck to deal with but it goes wth the territory. IMO a bigger concern with lump is that you need to be careful when sweeping ash with the one touch system. Sometimes bigger
pieces can slip through and you can easily bend the blades. Don't ask me how I know.

Two grate system plus baskets here.
Lowes is discounting baskets right now.
Got mine for $10...others $6.00

Weber #7403 for 22.5"

I used some leftover chicken wire cut in a circle to match the charcoal grate. I later switched to an additional charcoal grate rotated 90 degrees as previously mentioned. Both worked equally

I've used two grates before, but nowadays I just don't worry about it. I figure if pieces of lump are small enough to fall through the grate, they're not much help, anyhow. When choosing bags of lump, avoid the "flat" bags, listen for small pieces when the bag is turned over, and just push on the paper to see what it feels like. I have pretty good luck even with RO or Cowboy.

Back