Just two rib pics, not a grill in sight.

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
A tradition is a tradition. If I'd grill the Christmas rib over charcoal, there would be riots, and the planet would probably shift on it axis.
So, this is made inside, in a stove, using all the usual rituals, which goes like this:

- Five days before Christmas eve, remove the ribs from the freezer, and put it in the fridge.
- Three days before Christmas eve, take the ribs out of the fridge, and slice a pattern of small squares in the rind, Slice down to the meat. Not into the meat, not halfway through the fat cap, but just down to the meat. Apply a generous dose of salt and preferably fresh ground peppers to the rib. Do not tell anyone, because it is not a tradition, but add some sugar to the simple rub on the side covered with rind. Be sure to have enough ribs, at least a pound of pork for each person. It's way too much, but it's tradition. Store the enormous rib in your fridge, it will fill up a whole shelf even if you are only four persons for dinner. Cover it with cling film. Again, it's not a traditon, but do not tell.
- On Christmas eve, before you have washed yourself or anyting, take the rib out of the fridge and place it on the counter of your kitchen. The temps inside will be like under f60 anyways, before you've filled your ovens with wood.
- Turn on the stove, and let it heat to 450 degrees. Place the large pan with the ribs in it, rind facing down, and add half a pint of hot water. Cover the whole pan with alu foil. Set the timer on 45 minutes.
- Take the pan out of the oven, insert a rack over the pan, and with much gusto, flip the eight pound steaming rib rack 180 degrees, placing it on the rack. Remember to put a soup bowl under the ribs at the same time, so some fat will drain off. Insert the ribs, rack, and pan into the oven, without getting second degree burns. Easier said than done, I assure you.
- Reduce the heat in the oven to 390 degrees.
- cook the ribs for at least one hour, or up to an hour and a half. Check if the rind is super chruncy. If not, you can increase the heat at the end, use your grill element or an electric heat gun. I think the last approach is the best.

Let the ribs rest for twenty minutes, serve with sauerkraut, potoatoes, sausages made from intestins, beer and aquavite.

I have way too few pictures, but here are a couple of pics of the ribs. This is actually the same cuts that we make smoked ribs on the WSM from:

DSC_1033_zpsa97b015d.jpg

And a close-up. The taste of the chruncy rind is simply out of this world. Follow the recipe, and you can make your own.

DSC_1034_zps46f69587.jpg

As always, thank you for your time. Hope you liked it, even if I should have taken more pictures.

Last edited:
Geir that is fabulous, got to try that I can taste it through the screen, very well done my friend, and Merry Christmas to you and your family

A very enjoyable post Geir. The ribs look wonderful and the crunchy rind must be divine!! So nice to keep traditions alive. Hope you had a joyous Christmas.

Thanks for sharing Geir. Food looks fantastic I'm going to have to try. Merry CHRISTmas!

I would be happy to try and try again if I could find ribs with the rind still on... (I guess I need to special order from the farmer or butcher) Thanks for sharing Geir.

Wow that looks amazing!!! Do you have any plated pics?

I here you on the tradition part. I did a turkey on Thanksgiving a few years back and brined it using the apple brine from this site. I thought it was really good but a few people told me it just didn't taste like Thanksgiving turkey. Haven't brined one since.

tradition or no tradition, please bring that here Geir.
Seriously.
I want to eet that.

what is aquavite?
Akvavit?
Is that the traditional flavoured spirit that is principally produced in Scandinavia, where it has been produced since the 15th century?

That's the right product, yes. Just different ways to write the name, it's from Latin, meaning "The water of life".

The brand I prefer is transported over the equatorial line twice in large casks before it is bottled.

I thought I’d never mentioned this, but let me tell you a short tale.

It’s called “What Mr. Lampe missed and not knowing anything about it, so close, and yet so far away”.

My daughter visited the US in august. I had prepared a package, containing a plastic bottle of Aquavit, supplying her with plastic wrap, Duct tape, and an insulated bag of the right size as well as money for postage.

At last but not least she had the address to a certain location in Raymond, Wisconsin. I thought you had deserved a small favour in return , beeing kind enough to send me all those seeds and spices.

Arriving in NYC for her stay, she found a post office, and tried to send the package as instructed.
Long story cut short, it was not possible to send liquors by mail. So this well- meant gift ended up in a trash can, as she does not drink spirits.
Plans does not always end up like you wanted, no matter how much thought and care you put into them. I’m just glad that this not something important.

Back