Jerk Chicken Wings on the 14.5 WSM

Michael;
I do chicken wings a variety of ways (different recipes but same cooking method).

1- My first discovery was Cook's Country BBQ'ed chicken parts (including wings). This is simply salt and pepper after brining then applying BBQ sauce when they are nearly finished. This works perfectly for those that don't care for a bit of heat (my grandchildren can't handle heat, as an example).

2-Then came Larry Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce for a bit of kick and VERY tasty chicken.

3-Finally, Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning then BBQ sauce.

All three recipes give GREAT chicken. I brine all poultry. Perforating the skin really helps to crisp the skin. When you add super crisp skin with a great BBQ sauce (currently using Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle sauce except for the Orange Marmalade Sriracha) you end up with near perfection when paired with Chris's high heat chicken on the WSM.

Of course, this is just MY opinion...:rolleyes:

One factoid came up recently when I was deciding which smoker to use (when doing HH chicken I only use the top grate, of course). My 14.5 or Mini-Joe will handle about 15 pieces (depending on how large each piece is, of course). The 18.5 will handle about two dozen (24) pieces, and mathematically, the 22.5 should handle about 37 pieces (I don't have a 22.5). Just thought some might find it interesting.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I did a batch last week in the 14.5. Pretty much the same as you did, but had several distractions & the wings ended up marinating in WW for 5 + hours (**** happens).
They were nuclear!!! The glaze was what kept them from totally killing my wife. Damn good, imho.

Back