Jargon query / dumb question

Jennifer K

TVWBB Super Fan
So last night (Friday) I dropped by the Freedom Fest at Castle Rock, and sampled a few tasty treats at the BBQ competition tents. I kept hearing people talk about getting a "call" and I've seen the term used on this board - my dumb question is what does it mean... is it a prize?

I think it means having your name called as a top finisher in a category. I remember seeing that on the first season of BBQ Pitmasters a while back. I'm not into competitions so all I know about them is what I saw on the TV show.

And I'm sure you've heard this before - but the only dumb question is the one that is never asked...
icon_wink.gif

Yea no doubt they were refering to the top 3. Or #1 overall. Never been to a comp like that...How was it? Would love to go around aand talk/taste. And the smell @ one of those events must be GREAT
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Yea no doubt they were refering to the top 3. Or #1 overall. Never been to a comp like that...How was it? Would love to go around aand talk/taste. And the smell @ one of those events must be GREAT
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daniel, it was a small competition - very laid back and friendly. And, of course, this is Colorado, so there was a Western flavor to the event...good excuse to wear my cowgirl boots and hat! Most of the teams were local, although we had one all the way from Florida (Florida Skin and Bones ). Wind and dust, loud music, smiling faces, the aroma of ribs and BBQ sauce, the sound of screams from the Ferris wheel... It was great to be able to stroll around the tents and chat, and try samples without having to line up for hours. Also interesting to get a look at the different rigs teams have.

The only other BBQ competition I've seen was HUGE - the Nugget in Reno. I just followed the smell and stumbled upon it, when I was en route to Lake Tahoe one weekend. That place was hopping - so crowded, you could hardly get your half rack up to your lips. Amazing atmosphere.

I'd like to visit more competitions and get a chance to eat BBQ made by experts. It gives me something to aspire to in my own backyard.

Hi Jen,
Just saw this post and thought I'd jump in.

At a typical comp (KCBS), at the awards ceremony following all of the judging, the top 10 teams in each category get their name called to receive a ribbon, medal, trophy and/or check. So getting a "call" means you placed in the top 10 of a category or in the top 10 overall.

For a small team like mine, (we compete once or twice a year) hearing our name called is the highlite of the comp.

Back