It's all about communication!!

Mike Bartlett

All the family was coming over today at 1:00. I was elected to try my first overnight pork butt so I put on a couple last night for them to have time to rest a few hours before 1:00 this afternoon. This is my 3rd time using the new WSM.

I pulled, wrapped and put them in a cooler this morning. A couple hours later I started working on a pan of baked beans to go on and my wife asked why was I doing it now? I told her she said we were going to eat at 1:00. As usual I was wrong.

I pulled the meat, wrapped it up in a pan and put it in the fridge. Several hours later I put the pan on the smoker with the beans and finally this evening we got to do some eating.

The meat was good but no where as moist as it was when I pulled it. After the girls took a little meat with them there was just enough left for the wife to have for a sandwich for work tomorrow.

The sauce I tried was ok but not great, had store bought for a back-up. I need a good vinegar/lemon/onion/ketchup sauce like my Dad use to make. The one I made had way too much vinegar in it.

Mike, what was the total elapsed time from when you removed the butts from the smoker to the time you ate? Reason I ask is I've held butts in a cooler for 5 hours with great results. Also, a good finishing sauce (I use Bryan S's probably would have gone a long way towards keeping the meat moist too. Just a couple of thoughts for next time.

They were ready at 8:00 that morning, thought they would go to around 10:00 but like I said it was my first overnight. So it was around 8 hours before we ate and I was afraid to leave it in the cooler that long.

I did a search on Bryan S and had like 42 pages to scan through. Can you give me a link to the sauce you suggested? I thought about using some of what I made or some of the store bought but I was hoping it would be fine. It wasn't real dry but I will know better next time for sure.

Back