Ist Chuck Roll On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Schwartz

TVWBB Fan
I'm smoking my first chuck roll (thankyou Bryan!)
icon_biggrin.gif
15.5lbs from Uncle Sam's Club. Willingham's mild rub (hope that was appropriate to use) ET-73 smoker probe hanging through vent because there was no room to clip it because of the size of the C-Roll. Minion Method with 20 lit coal. Brinkman water pan filled. We're cruising at 230F at 8:25pm. Hopefully, will have a uneventful night
icon_smile.gif

Dave, welcome to the chuck club. Seems to be a popular item this weekend
icon_biggrin.gif
.Are you going to foil at 160? Let us know how it turns out.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Just a suggestion, but shouldn't we have some type of a laminated membership card to the Chuck club?
icon_smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, Bryan???
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

LOL,
icon_biggrin.gif
Dave hows the Beef Butt doing. Your going to love it.
icon_wink.gif
Keep us posted. My pork Butts turned out good. Made them for my crew out at work. I make the meat they bring the rolls. Bryan

Brian, it's 2am. I put this 15lb hunk on at 8pm. It's got an internal temp of 156. Does that seem to quick? I was going to wrap at 160-165.
icon_confused.gif

Dave, Make sure the probe is dead center in the thickest part. Some times it's hard to judge if putting it in from the top. Go in from the side if that's easier. It will slow down in the 160 zone when all the fat starts rendering out. Just check the theromo probe to be safe. Be fast with that checking thing. Don't want to leave the lid off too long. Check the water while your at it if using it. bryan

I repositioned the ET-73 probe in from the top into what I think is the thickest part. I had it in the side. No difference temp wise as it's at 160 internal and smoker temp of 230. I checked the water in the Brinkman pan and added some. Well, I'm thinking that I might have 15lbs of shoe leather at this rate.

Dave, put the foil on and don't worry about it. Things won't be going as fast in the 160 zone. When the fat starts rendering out of it it will really slow and cool down the meat.Temp might even drop when that happens. Take it to 200 and let it rest for an hour or 2 before you pull it. The 18 lber i did was really thick. I saw one last night at BJ'S that was 18 lbs but was thin and long. Don't worry
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I foiled the chuck roll at 9am this morning after 13 hours of smoking when it reached an internal temp of 163. After I foiled, the internal temp dropped back down to 150. Took about 45 minutes to come back up to the 160s. Left foiled in smoker until 3pm (6 hours) until internal temp hit 199. Put in cooler for about 1 hour then pulled. It seemed that there was a lot of fat and the meat was greasy. Not muck smoke flavor even though I started with 6 fist size chunks of hickory. Almost tasted like stew meat or boiled meat.
icon_confused.gif
I've had good luck with my first 2 pork butts but this was not what I expected. Does it sound like I did something wrong?

Dave, never experienced this problem
icon_confused.gif
Did the chuck roll have a fat cap on it like brisket? The ones i get do not and when its finnished i have 1/2 the amount of waste/fat as i do with pork butt. So sorry i did not turn out for you
icon_frown.gif
Bryan
Edit Dave, i know you were having temp problems this morning might have something to do with the boiled meat texture. Sounds like not enough of the fat got rendered out before the foil went on.

Bryan, it had a coating of fat on one side but not very thick. Does foiling for 6 hours seems excessive? I just got through putting the meat in foodsaver bags and my hands, pans, everything had a grease slick on them. Oh well, it sounds like I screwed up and maybe foiled too soon like you said. Maybe I should of probed for temp in different parts of the c roll? Also like you mentioned, I did have temp problems this time and I really don't know why. It was either running too hot or too cold. At 6am, the smoker temp had dropped to 185. I had gone to sleep at about 4 so who knows how long it was there. Also, interesting that there was not much smoke flavor. Hopefully, i'll have better luck next time. Thanks again for all of your help.

I can only guess that enough of the fat in the roll didn't get rendered out enough before foiling.That would explain the Boiled/stew meat texture. Maybe the ET-73 has/had a glitch in it. Check it in boiling water to see. No on the in foil too long cause that's about how long my 18.5 lber was in the foil at 225 degrees. No fat cap on it though.You didn't screw up. You did everthing right.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I don't believe this...an unhappy c roll customer...Bryan, quickly, go to Dave and fix this....otherwise I will be forced to go armed with pork butts, brisket and a mountain supply of MESQUITE wood!!

1 out of 40 ain't bad Bryan!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll tell you that if he lived closer i would be there in a heart beat. Not good at all to spend that kind of money and time for such poor results. I'm not a happy camper. I can only imagine how Dave feels.
icon_frown.gif
Bryan

Bryan & Greg, you guys are always welcome here
icon_smile.gif
, but based on the results of my c roll,
icon_frown.gif
you may want to bring your own food! To make matters worse, we had some company drop in. Little did they know what they were getting into ... ugh
icon_biggrin.gif
It wasn't that it was bad, lets just say it was ... different, sort of slippery. Anyways, as my son likes to say, the <span class="ev_code_RED">Summer Of Smoke</span> continues.
icon_biggrin.gif

Dave, sorry to hear you are not pleased with the results. I would agree the chuck roll is a little greasy (seems a bit strange for beef) but I sure haven't found it to be too much.

In the future you could try a couple of things:
-trim before cooking
-when you foil it, leave the opening at the bottom so rendered fat can drain
-cut into two to get more surface area for smoke taste
-when you rest it leave the opening at the bottom and elevate a bit on a rack to allow it to continue to drain.

Hope it helps. Shawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back