Issue with my Craycort Cast Iron grate for 26.75 inch kettle

Justin W

TVWBB Pro
Several weeks ago, I ordered a Craycort Grate for my 27 inch kettle. I was very excited until they arrived and noticed the grate inserts don’t fit and one of the grate inserts was broken from transport. When inserted, the grates were slightly too big for the hole and they stuck up in the middle. Here’s a picture.

imagercwv.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-01-26

imagemjc.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-01-26

I contacted the company and was very pleased that they with how responsive they were. 2 business days later, they sent out another entire grate. It took a long time to get here because of the snow (obviously not their fault) but it did finally arrive yesterday. The problem is that this grate has the exact same problem except that in this case 1 grate insert fits well, 1 is a little too snug, and the other 2 just don’t fit at all. (FWIW, it’s actually not the grate inserts that are the problem but rather the ring that holds them.)

I got back in contact with the company and they are sending me a third grate.

I feel like the company wants to do the right thing as evidenced by the 2 grates in my garage and the third one on the way. They seem to be very responsive and want to do the right thing and I like that.

I’m wondering if anybody else has had this issue with the 26.75 kettle grate?

Will keep you guys posted on how this works out.

Never herd of the problem before.

But you could try all 8(inserts) in different slots and se how many you can get to fit.

get the 4 ones that fits the best and mark with a pen then grind them down to a nice fit.

And then with the "leftovers" keep 4 and mount screws to them to get a raised grate.(se how Jim Lampe did)

And if you dont have to send any of them back,you cold give/trade/sell the leftover complete grate here or send the inserts to 4 different 27" owners on this site and grow in respect over night
icon_smile.gif

Hi Wolgast,
Good suggestion. It's really not the grates that are the issue. They are all pretty much identical. It's the rings that are the problem. I wouldn't even know where to begin to grind them down. I think I might be more likely to grind down my fingers.
icon_wink.gif

Can you point me to a tread where Jim's raised grate is pictured? That sounds interesting.

I cant really find the actuall tread.

But got some nice shots here. Had another link somewere but cant find it.

Or take a look at this Pic 9 and 10

Well i just thought it would be more easy to grind the inserts down to size then it would be to grind inside of the rounded grate"holder"

Thanks Wolgast. Thats exactly what I needed to see.

Good point about griding down the inserts. I guess that would be easier. If it were craycort, I would want the mis-sized stuff back so I get some sort of refund from the manufacturer.

Hey Justin, you wouldn't happen to be putting the grates in upside down would you? Mine fit either way, but if it were tight it might make a difference. I noticed in the pic that one of them was upsidedown, of course the others were right and still didn't fit. I just thought that maybe you could find a set like Wolgast said. Probably wasting your time here, sorry.
icon_redface.gif

Yeah, I know they are upside down. Since the grates don't come with directions, at the time I didn't know which way they went in. The picture was taken right after my attempt to figure if they weren't fitting because they were upside down. So I tried them both directions only to figure out they don't fit either way.

I appreciate the help though. Thanks for trying.

I found out some of them are and some of them aren't. It has to do with which warehouse they are shipped from.

This issue still isn't completely resolved. I will update again when it is.

oh yeah, sorry I forgot to follow up. The third grate he sent me worked out. There are still some minor cosmetic issues with a couple of the inserts, but now everything fits fine and cooks great. They offered to send me a griddle as compensation for the trouble and the cosmetic issues. I accepted that offer and am very pleased with my transaction.

All in all, I'm pleased. It shouldn't have taken as long as it did but I feel like I was taken care of and the company stands behind their product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
All in all, I'm pleased. It shouldn't have taken as long as it did but I feel like I was taken care of and the company stands behind their product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad to hear everything turned out good for you. Nice of them to make up for the issue with the Griddle.

It was nice. I'm appreciative. It seems like there are a lot of fly by night people manufacturing bbq stuff so I really liked that they went above and beyond. I hope other people choose to purchase a grate based on my experience.

Also, just for the record. Unlike with the smaller model of cast iron grates, the Weber Chimney starter will fit in one quadrant of the 26.75 cast iron grate.

Thanks for the reminder, Mac. I totally forgot.

I used this grate tonight and sear marks were wonderful!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Justin W:
They offered to send me a griddle as compensation for the trouble and the cosmetic issues. I accepted that offer and am very pleased with my transaction.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to jinx you, but what if the griddle doesn't fit? Do you think they send you another one?
icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness as long as a company sticks with me and makes it right, I'm happy. There are so many variables in life that it's just not worth getting upset over things like this. It does seem odd that they wouldn't have checked the second one before they sent it out, but as was posted above, you got spare parts or gifts depending on your preference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
They offered to send me a griddle as compensation for the trouble and the cosmetic issues. I accepted that offer and am very pleased with my transaction.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to jinx you, but what if the griddle doesn't fit? Do you think they send you another one?
icon_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness as long as a company sticks with me and makes it right, I'm happy. There are so many variables in life that it's just not worth getting upset over things like this. It does seem odd that they wouldn't have checked the second one before they sent it out, but as was posted above, you got spare parts or gifts depending on your preference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know why they didn't check. I asked the same question. They guy that owns the company is in Germany. He uses 2 warehouses in the states but contracts that work out. He has no employees here. I'm under the impression that they just hold the stuff here and mail it when he tells them to but they aren't employees. So he had no way of checking. All he could do is send another grate because that's the way his business is set up right now.

It makes sense once he explained it...though it did seem a little expensive.

I have the Craycort grates too but, mine don't have rounded corners like the ones that you have. I am wondering why they are different from the ones most of us have from the same company.

Don't know. He said he hasn't sold many for the 26.75 though. I think said it's only been 30 or so in the entire US.

Is yours a 22.5 or a 26.75?

Back