IQ 110 First Use and Initial Thoughts

Marty W

TVWBB Member
Well my wonderful wife and kids got me a Pitmaster IQ110 for Christmas and I pressed it into service that day for the Ham and Turkey cook I had planned for supper. I must admit I picked a tough day to test my new toy. For one thing I was shooting for temp of 325 which I have been able to achieve on a nice warm calm day this summer but from what I have found the WSM is not the easiest to get over and maintain the higher heat I was shooting for on this day. I wanted that nice crispy skin on the turkey.

Well as it turns out that day the Kansas weather blessed me with a nice 16 mph breeze and a chilly 26 degree ambient temperature. Nevertheless I pressed forward and filled my 22" WSM full and dumped a half chimney of lite on top. I let the temp come up to about 250 before turning on the IQ and set it to 300. I was wanting to avoid overshooting my target temp of 325. I closed down all my other inlet vents and closed the vent as far as possible on the vent with the IQ.

Well the IQ struggled to get my temps up to the target of 300. It did climb up to 280 but never got much higher. I didn't have much to make a wind block with so I had to let it ride with the 280 temp. About an hour before the cook was done I decided to open a second vent 100% and had some interesting results. The WSM climbed to 300 in about 20 minutes and just stayed there for the rest of the cook of about an hour. I just assumed that is all I was going to get with the wind and ambient temp. Well when I went out to remove the turkey and ham from the WSM I discovered I had the IQ set for 300 and that is why I never got above 300. The IQ actually was controlling the temp with the second vent wide open or at least it appeared to be controlling.

So l don't think I got a fair run with the IQ 110 but am anxious to see how it performs without the breeze. One thing about the IQ 110 I wish was different was the hose. I wish it was a little longer and I am going to have to come up with some type of battery pack. I am planning on cooking some appetizers for New Years Eve and should be able to get a better gauge on the ATC. Thanks for listening.

I used to have an iQ. I purchased a lithium battery pack off ebay for $23. It was a 12v 6800mAh. Once, I put a packer on at 7:30 PM and when I got up at 6:30 it did not have enough juice to run the ATC. So.. it looks like it can only be used for shorter cooks.

LithiumBatteryPack_zps46295516.jpg

I wonder if anyone has built the battery pack IQ has detailed on there web site and what type of run time they get with it. The main reason I wanted the IQ was for long overnight cooks. I am disappointed the battery pack will not last that long. Oh well I will just have to run AC for now and see what happens. Any ideas on how to lengthen the hose?

Well I ran a second run with the IQ110 on New Years Eve. I made some Pig Shots, MOINKS and ABTs for the evening. The IQ110 was never able to get my WSM to the 300 mark. I started with a full chimney this time and waited until I hit 295 before shutting down the vents and running solely on the IQ110. The temp dropped off to 275 before it started rebounding but only got to 287 in about 45 minutes and just wouldn't go any higher. I had to open the other vents to get to the 300 mark. Maybe I am asking to much from the IQ110 but I thought I had read other posts of people getting to 300 or above with the IQ110 on the WSM. I got one other thing to try and then I am out of ideas. Typically I don't run my WSM that hot anyway but it just so happens the two cooks I have tried you need the higher heat.

Did you have water in the water pan? I got a 18.5 WSM and a IQ110 that I haven't tried yet. I have read that it is hard to get a high temp with water in pan though.

In your original post u said u closed the vent that the iq was connected to , it should be wide open .if not, no air can be forced into the pit.

Yea I am running an empty water pan. I did shut down the vent with the IQ as much as possible. It was still open about a 1/4" but I had read somewhere that I needed to do that. I have a butt cook this weekend that I will try opening the vent all the way and see what happens. I had hit up Pitmaster as well and that is one thing they suggested doing was closing that vent down as well. There theory was it was blowing too much cold air into the WSM.

Did you post this on another site? Just curious.

Anyway, you should be able to get to higher temps. Starting with the full chimney of lit is good. I wait until it gets close to the target temp or 300ish before hooking up the ique. I then try to get the temp at least 25 degrees above my target temp to compensate for the temp loss once the meat goes on. You need the ique vent open wide, the others closed, and the top vent open all the way.

Does the end of your tube have a washer in it, acting as a restrictor plate? If so, take it out.

It takes about an hour for the temps to be ready to cook.

I am disappointed the battery pack will not last that long.

You may try a different battery with more capacity.

Also, you may want to run with no water or a foiled clay saucer in the pan for higher temps. I get to 325 - 350* without an iQ using a clay saucer.

Back