Install thermometer on One-Touch Original Kettle?

Manu

I'm ready to drill into my original 22" kettle lid. Looking for exact hole location (opposite from vent?) How far from bottom of the lid?
Recommended drill size?

I would be using the following OEM parts:

1. OEM thermometer bezel, Dimensions: 2 1/2" dia.
  2. OEM Weber 7581 thermometer

Thank you!

You might take a look at the SnS kettle for guidance. They put it on the same side of the vent which makes better sense, at least to me. But their's seems a bit high.

Also, Chud's BBQ installed a dial thermometer on his. Again, he had one already on the opposite side of the vent, so he put his mod one on the same side of the vent, and very low.

I installed mine the same way, on the same side of the vent. Mine is about mid-way between the SnS version and the Chud version.

Mine is amazingly accurate. When I put a probe on the grate, the dial reading is very close to the probe reading. So that's nice.

Be advised, my first thermometer, which was a Tel-Tru, blew out on the first cook. I think I was doing chicken wings and the max temp on the Tel-tru was 550. So I got another one but a cheap one on Amazon which maxes at 800 and it's been fine. Besides, IMO, you don't really need a Tel-tru for this kind of deal.

If you want, you can put a second one on the opposite side of the vent but up high like Weber. Best of both worlds.

Think about the length of the stem and the height of the install. You don't want the stem interfering or too close or stabbing at your food while cooking indirect. You also don't want the stem to snag onto the rim of the kettle when you're trying to hang the lid on the side of the kettle.

Good luck

Last edited:
I installed one under the top vent and about 2" above the lid rim. It gives me a pretty good idea of the actual cook level temperature. I use it when I'm spending most of the cook time outdoors. Otherwise, I use a grate level digital probe.

I really dont care how accurate mine is, I just want to know I am keeping it at about the same temp throughout the cook, I mean 10-15 degrees off wont effect my end results. I have electronic therms If I need them, when you cook on 1 long enough you learn your equipment. Most of the time it's a 2 hour or less cook,

All good suggestions, thank you for the replies.

Accuracy is not important, just want to make sure the temps are consistent throughout the cook. I guess location is not important.

Back