Injecting Pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willy T.

TVWBB Member
I injected two boston butts this weekend to try to get more flavors to the center of the meat.All I did was use apple juice and rub mixed together as my injection marinade.The reason I'm doing this is, bark of boston butts are great.It just seems the more you get to the center of the butts they start to lose flavor.Does anyone else inject pork?
I've been struggling on pork this year in competition.It always seems I start experimenting when a competition gets close.When I do pork for everybody else I get nothing but praises.But set it in front of six judges and I finish in the middle of the road.
I first injected boston butts last weekend. They turned out great. I just don't know about doing it for competition.
Thanks in advance,
Willy T.

[ 10-14-2001: Message edited by: Willy T. ]

I know in MIM it's a common practice and that's where Stogie would be the man to talk to, he's great with reciepes and has cooked in their contests.
Jim

Thanks Jim.I think I'm going back to pulled versus sliced.There's a lot more room to add flavor in pulled.The two I injected today also turned out well.So I guess I'll be trying something new in competition????
Willy T.

Hey Willy!

As Jim mentioned, I have cooked in MIM contests and they inject their shoulders. Each shoulder gets about a gallon of marinade! They have the real industrial sized injectors.

They inject their chicken wings as well.

One of the drawbacks is that sometimes the meat will be an off-gray color where you injected. But, these guys always find enough "good" meat to turn in. Usually pulled in thumb sized pieces with lots of bark mixed in.

Here is the injection recipe I use....

Famous MIM Team Injection Marinade

4 cups Apple juice or cider
1 cup Cider vinegar
1 cup Water
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Pork Rub(whatever rub you use)
1/2 cup Corn syrup

PREPARATION:
Inject into pork butts at the rate of 1 ounce per pound of meat.

Thanks Kevin.I've got the jr. industrial injector.The 2oz. stainless cajun.As far as the off-gray color I was trying to stick to the more clear liquids to see if I could stay away from any discoloration.Looks like you've got a great injection.I'll have to give it a try.Especially the corn syrup.Seems like all the judges have gotten a sweet tooth here lately.
Willy T.

Willy
You being in the SE I would think pulled would be the way to go for display. You can also cook two butts, cook one to 180? internal and slice that one and the other to 195 to 200? internal and pull that one. I would pull to thumb size chunks like Stogie suggested. Turn in a bed of pulled with slices on top, make sure you have enough of both for all the judges.
Out here on the West Coast we have to deal with judges that in some cases see pulled pork for the first time and don't know how to score it.
I knew Stogie would have an injection, looks like I'm going to have to try it myself.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I usually cook three butts and like you said I add one butt later in case I want to slice.I did sliced and pulled together last year and did well.The two contests this year I think the sliced is whats hurting me.I've been pulling my pork a little finer than thumb size.I might go larger on my pulled.I think that will help.
In your travels is there a difference in taste profile east coast vs. west coast as far as bbq in general goes?

Willy
We didn't do well with butt till we pulled the bigger chunks, keep moist where thin can't. I did say this but a little MSG on the back side of slices can help, but you didn't hear that from me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif If you are going to turn slices it has to be moist.
There is a difference in regional Q, vinegar works in the south where you can't go there in the west, not enough judges are use to the flavor to score well. Kansas City they like it sweeter than some other places. It helps if your travel'n to try to get info on what the regional style is.
If there go'n to bring in celebrity judges like at Jack, then all bets are off.
Good luck to you out on the BBQ trail.
Jim

Thanks for the insider Jim.You know, sweeter has been doing better for me.Even though I'm in vinegar country.Go a little farther south than I am and you get into mustard sauces.But try to compete with it around here you might as well kick your entry box to the judging area because you won't finish any lower.lol... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Willy T.

I was amazed when I first started cooking in a couple of MIM events. VERY sweet!!! EVERYTHING is sweet.

Here is how the MIMers make their ribs.......

Marinade for 6 hours in a sweet marinade. Then cook for about 3 hours. Sprinkle ribs with brown sugar and the above injection blend, foil and cook for 2 1/2 more hours. Apply sweet finishing sauce and cook for 20 minutes.

Not my cup of tea, but if you want to win, you gotta go sweet!

Stogie

Thanks Kevin for the tips.I haven't competed in any MIM contest all KCBS contests.But your right as a rule sweet has been winning.I wonder if chocolate covered ribs basted in a caramel sauce would get me first place trophy..LOL.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I've been adding honey to sweeten and thicken my sauce for the final basting on my ribs.I wrapped my ribs last competition cause they were drying out on the ends.Boy that foil can be a life saver sometimes.It can even help if they start getting too dark.
Jim, have you ever tried a mustard sauce on chicken?It's a diferent twist that's pretty darn tasty.I tried it once for a competition .Guess what it finished?? I'm not even going to say it..LOL.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Willy T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back