Injecting Brisket

Dan M.

TVWBB Member
I'm planning on doing my first overnight brisket. Got a 10 pound packer at my local Albertson's and was wondering what everyone's opinion was on injecting. I've read many of the previous threads on injecting. Does it leave the meat mushy at all? I had planned on injecting, slathering with mustard and applying rub, cooking fat-side down, minion method, sand in Brinkmann pan, Kingsford with 1-2 chunks of Hickory, and a few of Almond (first time). Oh, and basting on the 1/2 too. With injecting does anyone recommend beef broth?

Also, is there any benefit on separating the point from the flat and using the point on top to baste the flat on the bottom?

Thanks!!

We don't seperate our briskets - we simply put them on fat side down, wrap at 160, and take off at 190.

As far as injecting, I think it adds some flavor to the meat...just make sure that you're not adding a flavor that doesn't blend well with the natural beef flavor.

I know some people that inject more exotic type fruit juices - and that to me just sounds weird. I don't think of fruit when I think of beef.

But that's just me.

And, no...it does not leave the meat mushy.

Well, I finished the brisket this morning, it was about a 12 hour cook. It came out great. Pulled off at 190.

Maybe (probably) I'm doing something wrong, but is it ever possible not to have the bark and about 1/8-1/4" of meat a little or alot dry?? I rested it for about 2 hours, and it was primarily the top that was the dryest (cooked fat side down). The inside was moist and perfect, but no matter what I cook (tri-tip, brisket, pork butt, tenderloin) the outside is dry. I typically put a thick coating of rub prior to cooking and adhere it using mustard. Primarily paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, white and black pepper, brown sugar, oregano, and apply salt separately. Could the bark be too thick, should I have cooked fat side up..??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Could the bark be too thick, should I have cooked fat side up..?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Possibly too thick. Sometimes it's more a matter of procedure and/or ingredients. Are you using water in the pan?

Try:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Skipping the mustard. You don't need it. Apply salt first, allow some time for the salt to draw moisture and for the meat to look very moist; apply the rub over the salt.

<LI>Using best quality ingredients. Make less rub do more. Thick can work on butt since all gets chopped, pulled and mixed together but too thick on thinner stuff rarely does. If you want a chile flavor use a chile better suited to long cooking--paprika ain't that chile. It's a good carrier though so if you're just looking for bulk, not flavor, it's fine--though it can tend toward a slightly bitter edge. If you want some chile flavor but not necessarily a lot, mix a flavorful chile with paprika--you'll have flavor and bulk. Kill two proverbial birds by making some or much of your chile portion one of the hot chiles and you can then ditch the cayenne. These changes alone will allow you to get more flavor out of less rub. Also: Mexican oregano doesn't do all that well as a long-cooked herb. If using that, replace it with marjoram or a mix of marjoram and thyme. This will allow you to cut the sugar (if desired) more effectively and, again, you'll get more flavor out of less rub.

<LI>Finally, resting fat side up (in other words, whatever you're cooking, flip for resting and see how that does for you.[/list]

The dryness you describe can result from one or more variables including rub quantity and ingredients, cook temp, airflow, and so on. See if any of these suggestions help.

Still--sounds like your brisket was mighty fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Possibly too thick. Sometimes it's more a matter of procedure and/or ingredients. Are you using water in the pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For this cook I used sand for the first time. Previous times with water had the same results though. So are even the best briskets still a little drier on the edge vs. the center? It wasn't inedible or anything like that, just felt like I was snacking on some beef jerky rather than brisket.
icon_smile.gif
My temps tend to be on the low side rather than high. Usually averaging around 200-225. Would that also be significant enough to make it dry?

My experience has been that with briskets, a low cook temp 200°-210° results in a long cook time. The side of the meat without the protecting fat layer can get very dried out.

Since I sell alot of brisket, I needed a more consistant method so I now use foil. I know there are those that call it a crutch and it isn't necessary but I have not cooked a dry brisket using foil.

I simply cook @ 235° grate, fat side down till the meat reaches 165°-170° then double wrap in heavy duty foil with 1/4 cup of beef broth a pinch of rub and a couple spoonfulls of BBQ sauce.. Then it's back in the cooker till the meat reaches 190°-195° or until I can stck a fork in and pull it out without lifting the meat off the grate.Wrap in several towels and into a dry cooler, fat side up for 2-4 hours. Results are always the same.

There are many different methods to cook brisket, this one has been the most reliable at least for me.

Al

Al, you're spot-on as usual. A low temp will increase cook time and can cause drying of Select and standard Choice briskets (lower temps work better with top Choice and Prime and Wagyu as the fat and its structure support them).

I, too, often foil though not all the time. For me, it depends on perceived grade and the thickness of the brisket but foiling is very effective. As Al notes, if consistency in product is a kicker, foiling can be a key to getting you there.

Sand in place of water (or nothing in the pan) isn't so much a thing at low temps at first. Drying increases as cook time increases. At higher cook temps drying happens sooner. Then, variables such as ingredients and rub quantity come more into play. The hygroscopic nature of salt and sugars (especially the brown sugars) draw moisture to the surface as well as pull it from the air (if it's available there). Meats with an open structure are more prone to drying as, with time, that surface moisture evaporates. One sees this even in a water-in-pan situation, especially at higher cook temps. Foiling can prevents this as can changing the quantity of applied rub as can altering the ratio of salt, sugar and the other rub ingredients. Flipping and resting fat side up can restore moisture to dry areas through both gravity and the meat's increased potential to absorb liquids as it cools.

What is the groups opinion on the hot and fast methode of cooking brisket?

Brad did a great job and came in first with his brisket at a recent comp by cooking at 325 degrees for the entire cook; wrapped brisket at 165 until the 190 mark.

I may have to give this a try as my briskets are usually too dry in the flat for my taste.

I've cooked it both wrapped and not wrapped yet still ahven't been satisfied with the outcome. May try cooking in an aluminum pan to keep the meat moist.

Comments?

I have cooked briskets many times at high temps. For me, low/slow is a matter of two things: getting the rub/bark development right, and taking enough time so that I can do other things. One has to be mindful of ingredients if one is cooking at higher temps (not saying there will be a problem, just that there might be, depending on ingredients); and--I often just like the time factor--a lower temp gives me more time which I often need.

If cooking a very finely marbled brisket (think top end Prime or Kobe/Wagyu) I thing low/slow (very low) is preferable as the internal fat/tissue structure supports it--imo.

An aluminum pan is no different than just wrapping in foil--unless you add substantial liquid(s). But, then, you are not 'keeping the meat moist', you're stewing it, and that's a good way to make brisket pot roast-y.

Try wrapping as soon as the plateau breaks. If that is unsatisfactory to you then try doing the same with a little added liquid (not a lot). Also, try the higher heat method if you're mostly cooking standard Choice or Select briskets.

I agree with kruger... the temps on bbq is often a function of the time that I have to cook. That said, I've never done a true high heat brisket cook... just can't bring myself to try it. Also, I never do brisket lower than 225... 240 is usually my target. I'll speed up by going to 260 or so, or slow down by going to 225. But I don't have the gumption to go out of that range. (I've never done kobe/wagyu or prime meat...)

As to high heat. Kevin (vanhoy) or brad... when you do it at 300+ are you flipping frequently? When I've heard of that done, I've heard there is usually some flipping every 15 or 30 minutes...

Back