Ingredient question - Chicken

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
Actually more like questions.

With beef and steak, there's a huge quality difference based on the breed, how the cattle are raised, fed, cut, etc. Even the federal government has lent its clout to choosing different steaks (for better or for worse) with a legal and bureaucratic rating system for each carcass. This system seems to work quite well, especially considering it involves a government bureaucracy.
With chicken/poultry, the bureaucratic process seems to revert back to form, and is a total meaningless ****show. Starting with eggs, it's my understanding that there are ratings for "organic", "free range", "cage free", "pasture raised", "hormone free", "antibiotic free", etc. etc. etc. At best these are meaningless, more likely they are misleading. I personally find industrial chicken farming disgusting, and by no means am I a squeamish hippy. The ratings are also kind of meaningless when it comes to the quality of the eggs. The best eggs I've found in the super market are by happy egg, but I consider them overpriced. The best eggs period come from a family friend who brings us their eggs.

Where I haven't found a quality difference is with the meat itself. The $0.99/lb genetically modified, hormone fed, industrially raised chicken tastes afaik the same as other chicken meat, and you usually get more for it... or possibly I've never had good chicken meat. I haven't noticed differences between grocery stores, or ever had chicken where I thought "oh yes this is fantastic". I would still choose with my conscious: choosing properly raised chickens over the industrial disasters that abhorr even the farmers. Again, I'm not particularly a hippy. The problem is, even there I don't know how to choose. Is anyone here choosy about their chicken? How do you choose what chicken to buy? Have I never tasted a proper farm-fresh amazing chicken? Is there a kobe chicken somewhere?

Finally I don't quite understand grocery store pricing. I've seen the price of cuts of chicken range from $0.49/lb. to $4/lb. depending on what's on sale, and how it's been butchered. The leg quarters are the cheapest at $0.49/lb (now $0.69/lb after inflation) in a 10lb. bag. It's usually the boneless skinless filets when they're not on sale that go into the $4/lb. territory. I will also see differenet farms marketed. Kroger calls it "heritage farm", other grocery stores have different farms, but again, I've never noticed any difference between these. What does surprise me is that whole chickens are not the cheapest. The cheapest I've seen "whole fryers" are $1.29/lb. This surprises me for two reasons taken together: 1. I would expect these require hte least amount of work/butchery on the part of the slaughterhouses and butchers, 2. the individual parts: thighs, breasts, drumsticks, can often be had for under $1.29/lb. There's currently a superbowl sale on chicken wings for $2/lb. that makes no sense to me at all: The whole nation wants chicken wings, you don't get very many wings from a chicken, and the other cuts aren't on sale. Maybe they were the week prior? Maybe next week? I'm definitely going to stock up regardless, even though these chickens were probably raised under the worst conditions.

Finally, what can I do with chicken skins? I like to buy the 10lb. bags of leg quarters, but it's always a chore cutting and deboning them at home. It's a ritualistic thing: separate the drumsticks, debone/deskin the thighs, make stock/broth out of the bones, freeze/grill the rest. I now have a quart ziploc bag full of frozen chicken skin and I'm not sure what to do with it. I see people fry the chicken skins and eat that, but that's not really something I want to do. Also, I noticed the drumsticks from the leg quarters are smaller than the drumsticks when bought in drumstick packs at the grocery store. Those must be special drumstick chickens that they don't use in the leg quarter packs.

Sorry for the long post, here is a picture of a chicken:
Chickens-Chicken_Guide-A_beautiful_ginger_hen_with_a_healthy_beak_and_eyes.jpg

"free range", "cage free", "pasture raised"
Actually there are terms used specifically how chickens are raised for egg production. The terms are regulated and have legal meaning.

As for chicken meat taste and texture, there are perceptible differences in the different types of birds you can buy.

Here’s a good starting point if you’re interested in watching a video.

In my own personal opinion, mass-farmed birds are gross. I don’t like the texture. Chicken without seasoning doesn’t have much taste. But how each different bird is cooked does result in a difference to the finished product.

I like to buy Bare brand whole chickens and second on my list is Costco air chilled organic chickens in a double pack.

You can visually see the differences between a natural or organic whole bird compared to say a Foster Farms distorted bird.

I’d also recommend you buy and try Empire kosher chicken. Trader Joe’s sells those.

This would be a good start as you explore what bird brands you like or prefer yourself.

And then preparation methods will be your next impact level.

For simple starters, try wet brining some bird pieces in 5% salt water and add in two crushed garlic cloves, two broken bay leaves and a few black peppercorns. Brine for 8-10 hours nd then season as you like but don’t add salt. This method imparts major flavor and juiciness into what is normally bland protein.

As for chicken skin, I render the fat and freeze and cook with it. And my dog loves cracklings as treats. They’re good for his coat and he will listen and complete all commands for those treats.

So I should clarify, the govenrment labels that are put on give the wrong impression of how the chickens are treated. People see "pasture raised" or "cage free" and imagine some happy chickens in a field or on the side of a mountain or something, when the reality still isn't that lol... not by a long shot. That's why there are additional labels by additional organizations to offer realistic clarity. Good to know!

So I guess the base assumption is right: there isn't much difference in taste between different chickening methods. The only real difference seems to be air-cooled vs water cooled after plucking, and even that difference is minor. No wonder chicken is so popular. It's cheap and plentiful.

Interestingly, I special ordered a Turkey for thanksgiving: fresh instead of frozen from the local butcher. It definitely had a ebtter taste/flavor to it, I would say 20% better than the regular frozen turkeys.

Here in Maryland, we have Perdue chicken which is popular and more expensive than other brands. Perdue has a lot more fat than other brands, and you can taste it in the meat. It is delicious, and I've smoked many wonderful chickens from Perdue over the decades. However, the downside is that the skin is so thick, it's nearly impossible to crisp it, and so if you want a crispy skin chicken, you have to go with a more generic chicken. I have a good friend who won't buy or cook Perdue for this reason. He buys Nature's Promise organic chicken.

Re eggs, some people think an egg is an egg but I'm afraid they're mistaken. I will spend a few extra pennies for a good fresh chicken egg, and that, IMO, would be a free range chicken egg, preferably from a nearby farm or market. A fresh caged chicken egg from a nearby farm is not the same. It needs to be free range. One can definitely taste the difference between the grocery store egg and the free-range egg, PROVIDED they don't over-cook the egg. And that's the tricky part because most Americans overcook their egg - and they don't even know it. My favorite cooked egg at the moment is a poached egg, cooked in 190 F water for two minutes. Perfect!!! A properly cooked fresh free-range chicken egg is a wonderful thing.

A sous vide soft boiled egg is nice too, but takes more time. But you can cook a whole bunch at once. The advantage of a soft boiled egg is you can cook it so that the white is still runny, yet white and fully cooked. The flavor is pronounced. One can actually sip the egg right out of the top crown of the shell. But my wife won't eat a runny egg white!

The internet is a spooky place. I just wrote the above post yesterday, and today I find this in my feedspot email:

Coincidence? I think not.
Here's a screenshot of all the tracking scripts from this very forum post

Screen Shot 2024-02-12 at 10.14.38 AM.png

You can rest assured that anything google will track you with google, including youtube. As a general rule, if you have a script that you can disable without noticing any difference in the site's performance, that's exclusively a tracking script.

I just made chicken drumsticks from Sam's Club and they weren't very good at all.

Massive legs, almost no flavor... possibly I didn't marinade them liberally enough.

Back