Impact of Arby's brisket sandwich promotion on US brisket prices & supply

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
That Arby's Smokehouse Brisket sandwich has become so popular that it may already be having an impact on brisket prices and future brisket supply. They may gobble up as much as 5% of the total US supply.

#BRISKETISBACK
ARBY'S TAKES A CHUNK OF THE U.S. BRISKET SUPPLY
http://www.tmbbq.com/brisketisback/

First it's the pork disease making shoulder butts cost as much as ribs. Now this, and it's of no surprise when the US beef herd is the smallest it's been since WWII, or something like that from what I recently read. Anyone got any new chicken recipes?

As my friend and restauranteur John Berwald of Armadillo Willy's says, "First it was skirt steak, then Tri-tip and ground beef, and now brisket. Wish we sold pasta!"

We don't have an Arby's in our town, but my son was at an out of town golf turney and they stopped by to try them out. None of the kids were impressed. Maybe once everyone figures out they are full of injected chemicals and they taste bad, sales will fall and the price will drop because of increased production...

Just bought a USDA choice packer at Wally World here in DFW area for $1.98/lb. 2 weeks ago they were almost a dollar more so haven't seen that effect here yet.

Tried their sandwich during the trial period. Not that bad considering it's fast food.
Once the word get out on certain cuts or issues with availability, prices go haywire.
Happened around here a few decades ago with a 'less costly' steak called the Spencer.

Last year whole packers were going for around $2.59/lb. at Maines (A restaurant supply store). This past week they were $4.19/lb. Maines is the only place locally that has whole packers. Other stores just have the flats.

That's a lot Chuck. Before I'll pay that I'll just grill a rib eye. They're going for $11 or $12/lb. around here. Unfortunately for us carnivores the price of beef is going.

I usually do baby backs or pulled pork cuz besides chicken, it's about the only affordable meat

I smoked a 13.47 lb brisket last Sat. Cost $1.97 per pound from wally world. Most likely getting rid of some inventory after Memorial weekend. I hope prices don't go up! I just got into cooking full packers... :mad:

Back