Hunsaker rack system for 22 WSM

Garvin R

TVWBB Super Fan
Just order from Hunsaker Smokers a new rack system for the 22 WSM allows for up to 5 racks to be used. With this installed you can no longer use the water pan which I don't anyway horray Hunsaker and rumor has it they are making one for the 18 WSM. Just take out old rack system replace with this no drilling!
1705459555467.png

1705459665681.png

Just order from Hunsaker Smokers a new rack system for the 22 WSM allows for up to 5 racks to be used. With this installed you can no longer use the water pan which I don't anyway horray Hunsaker and rumor has it they are making one for the 18 WSM. Just take out old rack system replace with this no drilling!
View attachment 85270

View attachment 85272

I got a 3 rack set a few years back from Cajun bandit. Seems a little more ideal distancing away from the coals, so I kind of agree with Joe for his decision.

That said, I do have their vortex plate, and alternate between that and the water pan as needed.

I've been looking at increasing my capacity lately. The Hunsaker seems better made and 20 bucks cheaper than Cajun bandit, but you lose the ability to use the stock waterpan. The Cajun bandit one is 50 bucks and not even stainless but I really just want to add one more grate. I know you can drill holes in the existing straps and use some shelf brackets. I feel like Hunsaker really wants to sell you that vortex diffuser.

I've been looking at increasing my capacity lately. The Hunsaker seems better made and 20 bucks cheaper than Cajun bandit, but you lose the ability to use the stock waterpan. The Cajun bandit one is 50 bucks and not even stainless but I really just want to add one more grate. I know you can drill holes in the existing straps and use some shelf brackets. I feel like Hunsaker really wants to sell you that vortex diffuser.
Will adding more grate to your WSM be more capacity then your Franklin offset, & why not just use the offset?

I use the WSM more doing low heat cooks for things like bacon and sausage, so in the 150 to 180 degree range, lately. Those kinds of cooks are possible on the Franklin but it's more difficult to run an all wood fire at that low of a temp, and you wind up with smoulder-y smoke that's pretty much what you'd get on the WSM but with a lot more effort. I also tend to run an ATC for these cooks because it can easily maintain those low temps (If I go without the ATC I have to use snake method). A lot of guys use an electric smoker to do these kinds of things just because the very precise temp control you can achieve. For actual barbecue I use the Franklin unless I just don't have time for some reason.

Edit - Forgot to answer the 1st part of the question. I don't think it would be more than the Franklin. I just made a bunch of snack sticks recently and was tight on space. I should have just hung them, but I'm more comfortable putting them on racks.

Yeah I hear you, I use the snake method with an ATC to smoke sausage in my WSM 22 that method works really well. What's your take on this offset, old country brazos?

I used to have and Old Country 20 inch diameter pit that they made before they came out with the Pecos and Wrangler. It was closer to the Wrangler model. The Brazos is a 1/4 inch thick steel beefier version of the Pecos. It's got the stack in the middle of the grate which is good. The main problem that I had was the baffle between the firebox and the cook chamber directs the heat downward and then it tends to come up right in the middle of the grate and burns the underside of the meat. Some people cut the baffle out and extend the stack to get more air flow and solve this problem. All in all, though its better than any offset in it's class in my opinion.

The new model they've just come out with the Old Country Gen 2 is designed a lot more like the Franklin, especially when you take out its removable baffle. It costs more (around 2k) but it's an excellent value. Without the baffle you get more of a top down cooking and this great for Texas style briskets because it really does a good job rendering that fat cap. If you don't care about cooking that style then the bottom up heat is fine. Just put the fat cap down like you would on a WSM.

I got the three rack brackets for my 18 WSM a few years ago. Works great.

The brackets do extend lower down into the barrel, so you can have space issues with a deep water pan. My CB version does have a water pan sized bracket fyi. Since I use a flat FireDial (instead of the water pan) I have plenty of space to tend to the fire through the door.

If I ever want to use water, I just put a disposable foil pan on the lowest (in my case third) grate and still have the grates above to cook on.

The Hunsaker seems better made and 20 bucks cheaper than Cajun bandit, but you lose the ability to use the stock waterpan.

Looks like you could use the fifth rack on the Hunsaker rig for a foil pan of water and still have four racks to cook on. Foil pan on a cooking rack is a nice simple way to use water imo as compared to all the other kluge-ey DIY water pan options.

Last edited:
Well you could put a flat water pan, Firedial, clay saucer or other type of diffuser on rack #5.

But I think Hunsaker would like you to use Hunsaker's vortex diffuser down by the coals, which leaves all five racks for cooking.

I have the vortex plate, ordered it on its own anyway a couple years back. It does work, and I have no complaints with mine.

Back