How to strain coffee grounds out of barbecue sauce

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I'll be whipping up another batch of my modified No. 5 sauce using Kevin's Coffee Cocoa Ancho brisket rub and wanted to know if you guys have any suggestions on how to strain out the grounds. I didn't really notice them in the rub on the brisket, but when I made the sauce they added a noticably gritty texture.

My first thought was a fine mesh strainer, but do they make something that would be fine enough to catch the grounds but I could still push thick barbecue sauce through?

Thanks for any ideas.

Kyle, I sometimes put small flavorings (like pickling spices) in a paper coffee filter and fold to make a small packet before dropping it into a braise, soup, or marinade. You can tie the packet with a little string.

To extract the most flavor from the spices, I'd heat the packet with some of the liquid to a simmer, turn off the heat, cover it, and let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes before using it for a marinade or brine. The flavor passes through the filter, making it unnecessary to pick out the spices from the food. You could probably leave the packet in the sauce, marinade, etc. until finished simmering or marinating.

Rita

Ah, great idea! I do have a few bouquet garni bags, I'll have to try that and see how much flavor is imparted after simmering.

Thanks Rita!

Kyle, if the bags are a coarse weave, the coffee grounds might wiggle through. You might try dampening the grounds before bagging them to make them swell to see if that helps.

Another thought -- could you process the coffee grounds to a fine powder in a spice mill?

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Kyle, if the bags are a coarse weave, the coffee grounds might wiggle through. You might try dampening the grounds before bagging them to make them swell to see if that helps.

Another thought -- could you process the coffee grounds to a fine powder in a spice mill?

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly what I was thinking...I use a small coffee grinder and process the coffee until it's almost a powder when I make coffee flavored sauces.

I originally ground them myself in my spice ginder, I guess I could throw the rub back in there and try to make them more fine. I might try both options.

I'll also take a look at the weave on my bouquet bags, but from what I remember they're fairly fine.

All of the process above are great solutions and address the specific question best. But this triggered something that I though migt be helpful.

I don't have a chinese hat or chinois. Thinking of getting one.

In the meantime when making sauces and the like where I want to strain fine stuff out of a sauce or liquid or just want to strain quickly without the time consumption of a coffe filter or fine sieve/strainer I've taken to simply using a bowl. Line with a linen kitchen towel/cloth. I think mine might actually be cotton, I buy them at Fantes and use them for all kinds of stuff in the kitchen.

Anyway take a bowel the size best matches the total liquid you expect to be left with. Line it with one of these cloths/towel. Where food handling gloves if the contents are hot.

Dump the liquid over the towel/into the lined bowl. Lift the four corners together and gently lift up above the bowel to let the "loose liquid drain through.

Then with one hand holding the 4 corners together use the other hand to encircle the cloth below and gently slide down the gathered cloth/forcing the remaining liquid out through the cloth.

Then gently begin to twist the bottom area while continuing to hold the 4 corners together/twisting with the other hand.

This continues to force strain through the fine linen and traps most any fine elements I have done this with.

Sound complicated but takes a minute. A video would do this better justice.

You are left with the contents inside this pocket. Dump out the towel, rinse and throw into the laundry. Yeah the cloth might get stained but it's a kitchen tool.

Done this tons of times and keep them handy. Much quicker than waiting for things to drip through a coffee filter. Much, much finer than cheesecloth.

Most recently a couple days ago making limoncello. Just dumped the contents of the jar into the towel and follwed the process to remove the rind. Excellent, clear liquid remained.

Another thought on this . Just use instant coffee in your sauces and ground coffee on your rubs.

So I threw my rub back in my spice grinder and gave it a good 20-30 second spin and the grit was gone.

Just goes to prove that the simplest answer is usually the best. :p

Back