How much time for brisket

I can't tell you when the brisket will be done - only the brisket can do that. There is lots of info on this site about "the fork test" and/or a target temp of right around 190 for me.

As for the "timing" of the event... I would plan on 10.5 hours for that flat at 225-230. If you're wrong and it is done early, wrap it in foil and put it in an insulated cooler. It will keep heat for a few hours easily.

My last brisket was a 13 pound packer. I had a 6pm dinner planned and I figured on 1.5 hours per pound plus a rest of 1-2 hours. I put it on at 10pm, and it finished about 2pm the next day. Shorter than I planned, but I wrapped it and put it in the cooler. 4 hours later it was still so hot I could barely handle it to slice it.

My last 4 lb flat took 9 hours, while my last 12 packer took 13 hours.

If it were me I'd plan on around 10 hours for a 7 lb'er. But, only the fork really knows.

I try to cook at 225 grate.

Jay,

Few weeks ago, I cooked two packers that trimmer out to about ten pounds each. Took all of 12 hours. Like Bob, I target the temp at 190 then pull from the smoker, wrap in foil and place in a cooler for up to four hours. My guess is that you're looking at between six and eight or nine hours.

Where'd you get the flat? Palmer's had packers on sale last I looked. They also have spare ribs on sale this week - but you have to buy in case quantity. I'm getting a case for the freezer on Saturday.

With the wind we've been having, make sure your wind brake is set-up. The wind'll ruin your smoke faster than you read about.

Good luck!

Alan

"Vegetables aren't food! Vegetables are what food eats!!"

Thanks for the info But what is the fork test??? and I would think that 190 for beef would be over done and 160 should be what you are looking for but all you should know this will be the first time on my WSM
icon_confused.gif

Jay

Briskets have lots of connective tissue much like pork butts. Taking internal temps to around 190 allows the connective tissue to break down.

If you pulled the brisket at 160, it would be very tough.

The fork test is similar to the toothpick test on ribs. The fork will slide into the brisket without resistance when it's connective tissue has broken down.

This happens anywhere from around 185-195 degrees internal.

Jay,

Brisket is a very tough piece of meat and needs to cook long and slow at low temps (225-240) until the internal temp reaches 185-195. At 160 you wouldn't even be able to chew a brisket I don't think.

This process allows all the fat and connective tissues to render and the meat to become very tender.

If you wish to speed the process some, double wwrap the brisket in heavy duty foil when the internal temp reaches 165, place it back on the cooker until the temp reaches 190. Then wrap the whole thing in some old towel(s) and place it in a cooler to rest for 2-4 hours.

After resting, open the foil and let it sit on the counter for awhile to cool even more, you should have yourself one fine, moist piece of brisket there.

Save the juices from the foil, minus the fat, and add them to your sauce if you're using sauce, if not, drizzle them over the meat.

Back