How much sugar maple for ribs?

Eric Michaud

TVWBB Super Fan
I just got some sugar maple chunks and wanted advice on how many chunks you all use when doing ribs. I usually use hickory and apple or cherry. About 2 1/2 fist size pieces total. I want to use the sugar maple mixed with some apple next, want the sweet smoke but don't want to over do it. Thanks

Eric

Use about the same amount of maple as you would normally use hickory. Maple is a little milder than hickory.

For ribs I like to use 3 sugar maple and 2 hickory. If I was doing apple and maple I would go three and three, I do foil after a couple hours though so it isn't constant smoke on them, you might want to cut it back a bit if you aren't foiling and like a milder smoke flavor.

Clark

Thanks Guys, Looks like I am doing sugar maple and hickory, can't find any apple. I am doing a charity rib cook off tomorrow, been doing test runs on everything but didn't have time to experiment with the maple. Off to pack my gear, thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Eric I wouldn't use the maple with hickory. The hickory will just over power the maple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, Bob! I'll be using apple with Maple lump in a few weeks.

If you use the hickory in moderation and more maple than hickory, i.e a chunk or two of hickory and three or four of maple you will still taste it and have a couple different flavors but as Bob says there is nothing wrong with just using the maple by itself. Just my opinion!

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
If you use the hickory in moderation and more maple than hickory, i.e a chunk or two of hickory and three or four of maple you will still taste it and have a couple different flavors but as Bob says there is nothing wrong with just using the maple by itself. Just my opinion!

Clark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark he only uses 2 1/2 chunks so he obviously doesn't like a very smokey flavour. He should be fine doing 2 maple and 1 apple chunk. If he can find himself the apple.

I'm with you! I was just thinking because he is mixing hickory now it wouldn't hurt to do the same. Also why I was refering to foil and limiting the time they are in the smoke! Lots of different approaches and they all get wicked results! Oh and next time I'm in Ottawa your cooking for me!

Clark

Thanks for all the input.
Bill I live in Farmington, I have not been on since friday, was busy getting my gear together then was out early yesterday. The cook off was a hit, it was a personal victory even though I did not win, thanks for the offer, very nice of you. I ended up using three chunks of maple which worked out well and yes I do foil. I did want to err on the side of less instead of too heavy, did not want to over smoke them. I will be using a lot of Maple, loved the flavor. Oh and Bill I need to get to Colchedster and get me some apple, the stuff in Lowe's and Home depot is awful, full of bark and plain nasty. Thanks again. Off for a week of fishing in Canada. See ya.

When you get back, Eric, hit me up and I'll still send some apple and cherry wood your way. And if you ever need help with a charity cook....
icon_biggrin.gif
BTW, I've experienced no bitterness with bark being on Apple and Cherry wood. I have, however, tasted it when using Hickory and Oak with the bark.
icon_frown.gif

Yea the stuff at Lowe's and HD are just too dried out!

Here's how the wood looked from fruitawood:
0528011547.jpg

0528011551.jpg

for ribs i use about 5 chunks of apple (they are relatively small chunks, a little bigger than a golf ball)

for pork butt i use 2 chunks of sugar maple and 3 chunks of cherry (smokinlicious sized chunks)

i used to do ribs with just sugar maple and i used 3-4 chunks (smokinlicious sized chunks)

Thanks Fred it was an awesome week, just got back. Bill I will hit you up for some cherry, maybe get some apple at Mark's. I got my maple from smokenlicious just to hold me over. I have a pallet seasoning in my back yard, I will give you some hunks but it probably needs till september, going to get a moisture meter. Definitely a plus to have someone helping during a cook off like that. I will let you know when I try my hand at another one. Thanks for the input Jason, I going to experiment and add a bit more than usual and see what happens.

Hi Eric, i used to live in Farmington, in those townhouses in front of Devonwood and Winding Trails. Email me and we can set up a wood swap. I'll be doing my big cook this Tursday and Friday. Doing 6 pork shoulders and about 15 lbs of wings. I ordered them from BJ's. Hope they're decent sized! I'll find out tomorrow and if not I'll be calling Newington Meat Market! I'm going to need a minimum of 70lbs of pork. I'll be using Maple lump charcoal and about 6 - 8 chunks of Apple for the pork. I'll use the Cherry for the wings and beans.

Sounds good Bill, I will email you my #, sure we can figure it out, I have 2 jobs going on in West Hartford, 1 on Westmont, the other on Ridgemont which is off Beacon Hill. I get most of my pork from BJ's, use Hall's a lot. You may want to try Boghner meats as well in Manchester. I never go to Newington meat anymore, turned me off more than once , not spending a dime there again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
Sounds good Bill, I will email you my #, sure we can figure it out, I have 2 jobs going on in West Hartford, 1 on Westmont, the other on Ridgemont which is off Beacon Hill. I get most of my pork from BJ's, use Hall's a lot. You may want to try Boghner meats as well in Manchester. I never go to Newington meat anymore, turned me off more than once , not spending a dime there again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll call ya tomorrow during the day. I'm in Elmwood, around the corner from BJ's. Thanks for the tip on Newington! I've never shopped there. Going to check Whole Foods too. Curious if they have any Heritage Breed pork. If they do, I'm sure it will cost! LOL

Back