How many bags of charcoal have you burned so far in 2021?

Not sure....probably 4-10 20lb bags of KBB and one bag of Cowboy Lump, (which I'm just trying to get rid of). I grill/smoke year-round and use the gasser a lot.

in 6 months so far this year on the WSM and kettle, 3 bags of Weber, 4 bags of Kingsford and 8 bags of Royal Oak all briquettes but 1 Kingsford

I think I went through 2 bags of B&B briquettes, 2 bags Royal Oak All Natural briquettes, 4 bags of Royal Oak Premium (Walmart special) 2 bags of Royal oak lump (30lb big bags), and 1 bag of Cowboy all natural briquettes.

B&B briquettes are my favorite, but hardly available at Ace. I think Cowboy briquettes are going to be my go to since they have plenty at Tractor Supply Co and they seem to perform better than Royal Oak all natural.

My best guess is around 5 to 7 bags so far. Rockwood lump, & KF Competition briqs. Most of my cooks have been on the PK 360 and not so much in the 22" WSM. Maybe only 4 or 5 cooks on the WSM, all others on the PK. My gas grill hasn't seen much action at all in the first half of 2021.

I always re-use charcoal from previous cooks.

Used two more this last week, I’m generally a bag a week user, a little more most summers not quite as much when it looks like this...69D5DBDB-70DE-4C5D-84F3-992D2D2F7965.jpeg
Yes, that log IS crawling towards the house in hopes of being burned! It had been -20 for a week!
I reuse as well, seems silly to just let the heat go to waste, I have not had a lot of leftover coal from recent WSM cooks lately, I’ve been using the last heat for heating the grate cleaning sink, no problem!

Last edited:
I think I went through 2 bags of B&B briquettes, 2 bags Royal Oak All Natural briquettes, 4 bags of Royal Oak Premium (Walmart special) 2 bags of Royal oak lump (30lb big bags), and 1 bag of Cowboy all natural briquettes.

B&B briquettes are my favorite, but hardly available at Ace. I think Cowboy briquettes are going to be my go to since they have plenty at Tractor Supply Co and they seem to perform better than Royal Oak all natural.
I will have to check out my local tractor supply!

I've burned 5 bags, 3 lump and two briquette. That's twice what I've ever used in a whole year and it's only June. Just curious what's an average or who's burned the most.
I have burned around five or six bags of briquettes, all Kingsford, one professional, a couple of Mesquite, a couple of Hickory and a bag of Apple.

I use about 20 pounds a week and grill year around. I’d say about 400-500 pounds year to date. All cooks are charcoal.

B&B briquettes
B&B lump
KBB
Sam’s MM briquettes
Cowboy lump (clearance last fall)
RO lump
Kingsford long burn (clearance last fall)
K Pro

Picture is from April of this year.

cheers
Wow. I'm jealous! Nice stash.(y)

Oh man I think I may have a problem... I started the year with a few bags of Weber Charcoal but was primarily using Royal Oak's Chef's Select. So I went through 3, 20 lbs. bag of Weber Charcoal, 5, 40 lbs. bags of ROSC and 2, 17 ish lbs. bags of Royal Oak lump (and I have a 3rd bag of RO Lump half used in the stockpile). Then I switched to Blue Hog Briquettes and B&B Briquettes a few months ago and have gone through 3, 17 ish lbs. bags of each and am almost done with a forth bag of B&B. I have also used 4, 17 ish lbs. bags of Royal Oak All Natural and opened my fifth yesterday. I have also used one whole 30 lbs. bag of B&B logs and just open my my second this past Wednesday (I love those for long WSM 14 cooks).
So doing some rough math I have used about 510 lbs of charcoal so far this year or to answer the question how you asked it about 20 1/2 bags of briquettes and 2 1/2 of lump.
My goodness I was happy to see this. For a minute there I thought I had a problem. 😅

Sure, the Southwest has been in a severe drought for 20 years. Also the forests have dried up and are tinder dry. Here in Arizona we have about 20 wildfires burning most of them with close to zero containment. It's also our monsoon season except no rain just a lot of dry lighting and high winds starting some of the fires and some are caused by idiots leaving campfires unattended etc.
The local fire districts in trying to prevent as much as they can have put restrictions in place such as no out side welding, no campfires, no charcoal or anything that produces ash, no target shooting in the forest and just recently have closed all public access to the state and national forests in AZ.
One of the fires close to us went from a 20 acre fire too 20,000 acre fire in one day.
Gas grills are okay as long as they have an adult present at all times.
During the monsoon season we normally get at least 4-5 inches of rain which runs from June 15th through September 30th.
Last year we got just over an 1 1/2" for the whole year.
Lake Mead which supplies Phoenix with a lot of it's water and the farms to the east is at 36% fill which is the lowest it's been since Hover dam was built. In our weather forecasts for today it doesn't say sunny, cloudy, partly cloudy it says smoke.
😟 Rich - all the best from Florida.

Opened bag #7 tonight. Costco Kingsford. I think I prefer lump for no other reason than the aesthetics of it. Just enjoy the look of the lump. Feels like you're really grillin' with that stuff. Probably not the same joy as filling that bin with pellets, but okay. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (Joke).

I grill at least 4 nights a week, mostly short cooks I guess, and I suffocate and reuse my coals.

How do you guys go through so much charcoal? I'm amazed.

Opened bag #7 tonight. Costco Kingsford. I think I prefer lump for no other reason than the aesthetics of it. Just enjoy the look of the lump. Feels like you're really grillin' with that stuff. Probably not the same joy as filling that bin with pellets, but okay. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (Joke).

I grill at least 4 nights a week, mostly short cooks I guess, and I suffocate and reuse my coals.

Cooking lump 6-7 nights a week, long cooks on Saturday or Sunday, and if most is grilling or medium to high heat - the charcoal use is high. Between the nightly cooks and then family on the weekends, it’s not out of the ordinary to burn 20+lbs a week if the rain stays away. We also don’t ever turn the oven on, and hardly the stove unless to boil.

Cooking lump 6-7 nights a week, long cooks on Saturday or Sunday, and if most is grilling or medium to high heat - the charcoal use is high. Between the nightly cooks and then family on the weekends, it’s not out of the ordinary to burn 20+lbs a week if the rain stays away. We also don’t ever turn the oven on, and hardly the stove unless to boil.
Tim,
I am very similar to Teddy, cooking outdoors (charcoal only) 6 to 7 nights a week, 3 or 4 I have both the Master Touch and the WSM going as part of the cook, trying to use the outside for as much of the meal as possible, and long cooks most weekends. However, also a major reason for my usage is a do not reuse charcoal. I clean up after every cook and start fresh for the next one. I keep thinking why do I do this and I came to this: most weeknights I am trying to get dinner on the table before the next task (I have really thought about adding a gasser for this reason) and I know how long a full Weber charcoal chimney of fresh charcoal is going to take to heat up, how it is going to preform and when I can expect to get dinner done. When I throw saved/reused charcoal in the chimney and then into the Kettle or WSM it does not always light or preform the same way and adding that extra variable can be the thing that throughs the time of the cook and the evening off, so I just stick with new charcoal and keep it consistent. I think reusing charcoal would cut down my use, but I still go through a good bit.

Back