How long before cooking a standing rib roast?

Steve McKibben

TVWBB Super Fan
Since these are on sale at my local supermarket I stocked up, and all but one went in the freezer. As for the remaining one, it went directly from the supermarket to the cold drawer in my garage fridge. How many days do you think it's OK to wait before I cook it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Powers:
2-3 days past the sell by date is what I would think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My thoughts exactly. I usually don't wait any longer than that, if it doesn't have any funky smell by then.

Let us know how it turns out!

Barret

I think with primal cuts like this you can wait longer than you think - you can dry-age them at home.

Wrap the beef in clean cotton (not terry) dish towels, and change the towels every day or so until you want to cook it. The bottom shelf/drawer of your fridge is the best place for this because you want it right above freezing.

In this way you can keep the beef edible for at least a couple weeks. And you will enhance the flavor...

Sell-by dates mean little. I ignore them.

If the roast is cryo'd it should be fine as is. If it is in retail wrap maybe, maybe not. You can try to dry age it as Dave notes - but make sure it's not sitting flat on a pan. It needs good air circulation under it as well as around it.

Dry age it in your fridge. I bought mine yesterday and started the process today and will cook it Sunday. I've done this for years and it's great. Try it; you'll like it!

i bought my bone in prime rib on monday the 20th and it's been aging since then. got the idea reading alton brown recipe but by the looks of this thread i'm way behind the curve.

i've got my small 10 lb'r on a rack at bottom of fridge - the red color is getting really deep dark red - no smell or slime whatsoever. i've heard you can leave it 3-4 weeks (not sure if i'm that brave). I can't wait to get it on the grill. i'm going simple - coat with olive oil then kosher salt and fresh pepper - and will slow cook till it hits 120 and then sear briefly to get some crust. hmmmmm!

Merry Christmas everyone! thanks for all the wonderful ideas / guidance this year!

Back