How do you light your Weber Chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert McGinley:
Try using a few pieces of paper towels and and a little vegetable oil. Works great with little to no ash... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried this method this weekend when I realized I had no newspaper. Works very slick, as long as you dont run out of paper towels
icon_razz.gif

Brandon

Home Depot USED to carry the cubes (my local store at least). I bought a TON of them on clearance a couple years ago and am almost out. If I find more, I'll buy them for the future.

Seems as though i'm going to get a Weber Silver C gasser this weekend though.... so I may start using a side burner!

I hope Home Depot has not stop selling the cubes. I really like them for lighting 10-12 briquettes in a upside down weber chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Stewart:
I've been using these lately:
http://www.diamondbrands.com/pages/fire_starters/9.php
Just one lasts a long time, more economical than the Weber cubes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These work slick. They also have another product that is a big lump of paraffin and wood chips. You just break off a chunk and light it up under the chimney.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I too use the Weber cubes. I only use one cube per chimney (unless I'm really in a hurry) and it works like a charm. I picked-up several boxes for $2.29 per box (24 cubes). Can't beat the price or the convenience. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure Larry if you like the martini's....don't want to have the fire ready too soon, that time is reserved for mixing the cocktail.
icon_wink.gif

I too am not a big fan of the ash that can "arise". I some time ago won a silent auction in which there was a cheapo (I mean real cheapo) no-name tailgate grill which you couldn't use for much of anything ... EXCEPT lighting a chimney. I take it out with me and use it as my lighting station. What's nice about it is the grate sits high off the charcoal tray, so lots of oxygen gets into the chimney and it lights fairly quickly.

(Just another take on the art of creating fire)

I usually use newspaper (the ash doesn't bother me because I light the chimney inside my Weber kettle, not in the WSM). I also like the Weber cubes, but I ran out of those and haven't bought any more. The Diamond fire starters (and similar products made out of sawdust and wax) are good, too. But the last time I cooked, I used a wadded up paper towel to rub cooking oil on my grates, and then used the oily paper towel to light the chimney. It worked fine.

I used to try the two newspaper method, but it would take a try or two depending on how windy the day is. But I found that the credit card applications sent unsolicited in the mail are far superior to newspaper. They burn longer and hotter than cheap newsprint.

I really like the Diamond Strike-a-Fire's. They're nice because you can stick them up into the chimney (they're long and thin) after you've filled it with charcoal, and it will work its way up quickly, getting upper charcoal going faster, in my opinion.

I used to use newspaper, and won't ever again.

Bernzomatic torch works well. I have been suprised how long one canister lasted. Best of all.... no mess.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I second the Benzomatic. Last a long time and cheap..and clean. On the kettle I just bank one side w/ coals...hold the torch at the bottom for 60 sec. About 20 minuts later your reay to go

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
(c) paper towels and vegetable oil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Except sprayed with PAM, not oil. Less mess, for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back