Hinge install - gasket adhesive on nuts/bolts?

EDIT: Found the video here.. Their website is laid out in a pretty bad manner, as that video was available only through the main shopping page (not through product-specific pages). Looks like they heeded mine and everyone else's advice and finally put a video up.

--------------

I just looked on there and they don't have a video, or if they do, it's incredibly hidden.

If you check out both hinge pages for the WSM (18 + 22, and 14.5 models), there's no videos linked in there, nor is there on their Youtube page, Facebook page, etc. Where exactly are you seeing this video?

First time I installed a hinge back in 2014, I actually had to write unknownBBQ a "nasty letter" explaining to them that their typed instructions were presented horribly and were misleading, and that they need to correct them and also post a video. They responded telling me that I was right, but that they really didn't care to take the time to do it (also known as "we're busy"). With that said, I'm skeptical that they've ever created a video, because that surely would be a first.

Last edited:
Sean, I agree with the center punch. I'm glad there are people here that have done this already. BTW, after centering the lid, do you drill the lid holes first and attach the hinge, or drill the body first? Does it matter?

You mount the hinge to the lid first, then onto the body. They are very strict and clear about this in the instructions (despite overall poor instructions), as it can cause issues if you do it the opposite order. As I mentioned previously, I recommend taking it 1 hole at a time. Mark, drill, mount the bolt, then align and mark the next hole. You'll get a near-perfect alignment and fit and will be very pleased with the end result.

Thanks Nick. Good video, but I would have used a center punch rather than just jump in with a drill bit. That's just me maybe.

It looked like the lid wobbled around a bit in the video, when he lifted it up. Is it a solid hinge or does the lid sway some when it is up?

Last edited:
EDIT: Found the video here.. Their website is laid out in a pretty bad manner, as that video was available only through the main shopping page (not through product-specific pages). Looks like they heeded mine and everyone else's advice and finally put a video up.

--------------

I just looked on there and they don't have a video, or if they do, it's incredibly hidden.

If you check out both hinge pages for the WSM (18 + 22, and 14.5 models), there's no videos linked in there, nor is there on their Youtube page, Facebook page, etc. Where exactly are you seeing this video?

First time I installed a hinge back in 2014, I actually had to write unknownBBQ a "nasty letter" explaining to them that their typed instructions were presented horribly and were misleading, and that they need to correct them and also post a video. They responded telling me that I was right, but that they really didn't care to take the time to do it (also known as "we're busy"). With that said, I'm skeptical that they've ever created a video, because that surely would be a first.

I've installed 4 of these hinges. I found the instructions minimalist and simple. There was no extra fluff. Not sure what else needed to be said. I was skeptical on my first install and contacted the owner. He responded immediately and simply reassured me that he set forth to give the most honest and correct set of instructions possible. He was right. I followed his instructions step by step and had no issues whatsoever. It was all there, in black and white, fluff free. I'm not sure what else I was expecting but I didn't need any more than what was told to me. He contacted me again a couple of hours later and asked how everything went. To which I responded everything went great. This guy is a fabricator and it appears he also knows a thing or two about BBQ as well so he's one of us, making a living as a welder/fabricator and inventor it appears. Maybe the lesson/problem here is communication and how to approach a person. Starting off with a "nasty letter" may have set the tone of your entire experience. It's certainly not how I find success (or friends) in life.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick. Good video, but I would have used a center punch rather than just jump in with a drill bit. That's just me maybe.

It looked like the lid wobbled around a bit in the video, when he lifted it up. Is it a solid hinge or does the lid sway some when it is up?

Roger, there is a little sway, it's nothing to worry about. The hinge needs a little play to function properly. If it was tight, how would the lever mechanism work? on top of that, it's holding a large lightweight lid that's bound to sway a little. It's a solidly built, stainless steel mod, hand welded. I could stare at those welds for hours. It's a solid mod. Absolutely the most useful mod I've bought to date. I just lift the top and can focus on the cook, Genius...

Last edited:
Hello Roger R,

I got a new 18.5 but had the "out of round"...basically my top grate was not sitting securely on the L bracket. If I hit the top grate, it would have fallen in the cooker, food and all. So I got 3 stainless steel washers and put them between the cooker and each the L bracket (top and bottom), this way it pushes out the bracket further into the middle of the cooker, which in turn allows my top grate to sit more securely.

-Rob

Got it. Thanks!

Back