Help please

JohnO

TVWBB Member
I am cooking 3 racks of baby backs and they have been going steady at 275 lid temp. I am coming on hour five. When should I look for them to be complete?

They should be really close by now...did you foil them?
Most will suggest the toothpick test, insert a toothpick between the bones, if it goes in easy, they're done.

if you're close to 5 hours (within an hour say) hit them with some sauce to finish them now.
And really, do the toothpick test. BB Ribs cook quicker than sides, and my sides are usually 5 to 5-1/2 hours.

John, I would've definately checked them sooner than at the five hour mark, cooking over 250. I probably would've checked after about four hours, just to be safe.

You can't just go by the math, using time, weights, and temps with bbq. You've got guestimations, and you check sooner than later. (I'm notorious about overcooking ribs, so I'm also reminding myself!) It's done when it's done, and I hope your bb's didn't overcook. They're much moister and more flavorful before they start to fall off the bone. You want the meat to pull clean from the bone, but not fall off. Hope they turned out good, though!

Cooking at 275 and no foil my BBs are done between 3 and 3.5 hours. Done for my family is when the meat between the bones reaches around 190-195F. YMMV.

Back