Help me pick a wood for tonights smoke!

JasonG

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

I'm on my 4th cook tonight (report and pics on the others to come later) and so far all I've used it Apple wood for everything I've done.

Well the apple wood is gone and I've got the following choices left for tonights smoke. I absolutely loved the smoke taste from the apple on the last butts I did.

Which of the following should I try tonight?

Pecan
Hickory
Jack Daniels Old #7 Barrel chips

Thanks in advance for the advice!

What are you smoking?

I've been using Pecan quite a bit lately and I'm really liking it. Mainly because I've run out of apple wood myself and haven't gotten around to getting more.

Mostly been using Pecan on ribs and chicken with success

Try the Pecan with a little of the J.D. chips
!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

I am partial to pecan myself. It also mixes with apple (and other fruit woods) quite nicely. Also, if you like apple, give peach a try.

Rick

I like the pecan if you are doing butts or ribs. Hickory or JD if you are doing brisket or beef. If your doing chicken, I would stay with pecan.

That's if you're picking a single wood. If you are mixing I would go lighter on the hickory if doing chicken. Pork butt I don't think it matters as much to do a 50/50 since it usually has a higher mass. Ribs, if using the hickory or JD I would go easy to see if you like it. Ribs can get overwhelmed with hickory in my view. They're thinner.

Thanks all for the great advice! I think I'll try just the pecan. I want to try some mixing but I think I'll stick to single woods so I can develop a better understanding of what characteristics/flavors the individual wood imparts.

Thanks again all!!

Where do most of you get your specialty wood (such as pecan)? I only see the typical hickory, mesquite, and apple in the stores around here.

Really no difference between pecan and hickory..I know a lot of you will tell me you can tell the difference..but actually a lot of wood you buy labeled as hickory is actually pecan

Alot of different opinions on which wood to use. Everybody has to work out what they like and can get. In believe I can tell the difference between hickory and pecan. I love both, would never do pork without some hickory. It has a taste different than other woods. In my mind I place pecan between the fruit woods and the oaks. I work in the hardwood industry, so have good access to wood. I will always mix some hickory, some white oak with some fruit wood. I like the combination the best.

I get most of my wood at my local Barbeque Galore because its convenient. At least the store in my area has quite a large selection. I know a lot of guys have mentioned smokinlicious dot com.

On a seperate note, I live in the wine country and a lot of wineries are selling cut up pieces of wine barrels that are past their prime for making wine. I'm curious as to how that would be. Basically American or French oak soaked with wine.

Friend of the family who owns a winery told me they never have to worry about getting rid of old barrels. People are always asking for used barrels for a variety of reasons and a lot for queing. I get some from him for our outdoor fireplace. Maybe I'll throw some in the WSM on the next smoke see what happens. Lots and lots of queing and beer drinking going on during harvest season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm curious as to how that would be. Basically American or French oak soaked with wine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never used wine casks in my WSM but I have used in my kettle, I was very pleased with the results. If I could get my hands on some at a great price (no shipping) I'd go for it!

I get pecan at hawgeyes. As far as pecan sold as hickory I don't know. Pecan and alder are the only woods I buy. I have access to a lot of wood and have only bought those 2. I can tell you there is a heck of a difference in taste to me. I can only use one piece of hickory in a cook, pecan doesn't really matter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by al thomas:
Wine barrels are always white oak, flovored with wine. This is the best of the best. Get all you can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about whiskey barrels? I live about an hour from the Jack Daniels distillery and I think that they periodically sell off their old barrels. They should be white oak and should have an amazing flavor. Anyone think they might be a little too flammable?

I have tried the jack daniels chips and only picked up the oak flavor. Maybe it is just me. The JD pellets on the other hand AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhh yyyeeeeeaaaaaaaa. There isn't anything better. Walmart around here used to carry them but haven't seen them for a while.

what does the wine and wiskey do to the FLAVOR of the meat if describable? I'm only guessing it smells funny...... never tried it. let me know thanks. and tell me the truth cause if I had to guess, im wonderin if its gross
icon_smile.gif

Back