Help: How to Prevent Wood Chunk Flare Ups

Mitch Auker

So, I have a WSM18.5 but I haven't used it yet. I have always used my $40 cheapo Brinkmann but when ever I use wood chunks, they always catch on fire and try to send my temps to the moon. I've read the tips on the main site about different methods to use chunks (wrap in tin foil). But I am not fond of that idea at all.

Will I have less flare ups with the WSM because it doesnt have a fully open bottom, like my brink did? How can I prevent/minimize the wood chunks from catching on fire. As soon as they catch in the brink, I would have to catch it quick or else I would have very high temps very fast. I try to keep my chunks from being directly on the glowing coals, but that's very hard to do/not possible on the brink.

So, any other helpful tips? FYI - I've tried soaking the wood for up to a full day and it doesn't help. I haven't tried the minion method yet. It seems like that way may be easier to prevent flare ups, but if I don't use that method, how do I prevent the chunks from catching fire?

dude, it won't happen. i promise. just throw them in there. dont need to soak or anything. the WSM doesn't have the same kind of air leaks.

I would suggest to stop soaking your wood...it does nothing.

The WSM is a superior smoker.

Do the Minion Method.

Toss in 2-3 chunks..put one on a lit section to get the smoke going.

Watch your temps and start to damper down before you go past your target temp.

Enjoy a wonderfully easy lo and slo cook!!

Others will be here with more words of WSM wisdom!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Wood ignites around 400F(approximately). In a WSM, while smoking, the temperature stays below this, so the wood shouldn't catch fire. My guess is that in an ECB, an air leak would stoke the fire raising the temperature of an area hot enough to flame the wood. The air flow in a WSM controlled by the bottom vents. When you close the bottom vents(and the top one) the WSM is air tight enough to put out the coals.

I bury 3-4 fist size chunks of wood, apple is my favorite, in the charcoal. After a 6+ hour smoke there is still a little wood left. Don't worry,like everyoneis saying, it will work great.

Mike

My experience has been that wood chunks can ignite if they've been in for awhile and the bottom vents are essentially shut (I typically run a long MM cook with the two windward vents = 0% and the leeward at 25%....this keeps things around 225 in mine). Anyhow, if I take the lid off....or open the door for a rather lengthy period....and the wood is not fully burnt down....there's a good chance they'll ignite.

I don't have a smoker (maybe some day). However, I do smoke on my Weber 22.5 OTG. A few days ago I did a picnic. After a 4.5-5.0 hour cook, I had about 1/4th of the charcoal unlit and half a wood chunk still intact. It was good for another hour or so.

My OTG doesn't ignite the wood chunks if I manage the temperature correctly (use a modified Minion method and keep the temps at 300 degrees measured at the food grate with my Maverick 732).

FWIW
Dale53

Back