Help Help Help!!!! Please

Edmund Caro

TVWBB Fan
My butts are at the 190-195 mark and its only been about 10 hrs on the smoker. The butts I am using I get from my butcher as always and they were 7.5 pounds. Has anyone had butts cook this fast? Lid temp stayed about 245-250 and surface temp was 230 all night long. I had a few degrees variance throughout the night but no major spikes. I have used the cooler method to keep them warm in the past, but they will be in the cooler way past 4hrs at this rate. What can I do to keep the butts warm and juicy till I need them?

Correction, the small one is about 185 thats the 7 pounder, and the 7.5 is about 180. I stuck the probe in the thick part of the meat running horizontally to the bone and got better readings. I did not touch bone. I might have put the probe in a fat pocket the first time and had a panic attack. The butts will still be done early what should I do?

I've had it happen a couple of times Ed. You can keep the heat a little lower in the WSM and the drive to 195 (trademark!) should take a little longer. Then, the cooler trick should keep you until it's time.

When they get to the desired temperature I pull mine and foil them. I take newspaper and line the bottom of an ice chest with flat pieces(to catch spillage-easier clean-up). Then I wad up more newspaper and place on the bottom. Then put the foiled butts in and wad up more newspaper and pack it around and on top of the butts. Possibly put a couple of flat pieces of newspaper on the very top to help hold in heat.

They will keep heat several hours doing this. We've found them to be warm even overnight.

Just monitor the temps. Butts wrapped tightly in foil and then in towels places inside a cooler last hours without dropping below 140 which I think is the "danger" area.

Alternately, if you can't hold them that long, put your oven at lowest setting (170ish) and keep the butts in a pan wrapped in foil inside the oven.

I'd try the cooler first though.

I've held in the cooler for 4 hours and they are still piping hot. I've heard of some people putting a shallow pan of water in the cooler to try and maintain moisture. I've never tried it. Edmund, have your temps hit a plateau yet? Sometimes temps will get to 180 and hold there for an hour or so.
Good luck with your cook.

I think that is what has happened. They are still holding a temp of 180. I think I am right on target to have these babies done by 12:00.

Butts just came of the smoker. They are now wrapped and packed, and utterly amazing looking. Enjoy the game folks. Go Giants

Back