Hello from Virginia

Bill Clemens

TVWBB Member
I recently bought the 18.5 WSM and have been smoking anything that will lay still on the grate. This is such a treat to make these pieces of meat and other stuff too, taste like it was done by some gourmet chef ;-) ....it has been so much easier smoking than on a regular grill. Why did I wait so long....?

I'm going to pick on Weber a bit though. The lid thermometer is not so good. This one is off about 25° and not linear. I'm searching for another one for the lid but bought the Maverick ET-783 for a bit more entertainment - and it works very well. (But does the receiver ever love to eat batteries!) Anyhow, I attempted to 'calibrate' the Weber thermometer using the boiling water method and found how non-linear the readings are. Twisting the probe must also pre-load the needle in the gauge. Looks like all that is needed is to move the scale behind the needle - but it is not accessible. Weber should pay more attention to these 'small' details when they sell their product. But; I'm 'eat up' with their smoker.

Happy to find this forum - very happy indeed!

Bill Clemens

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Bill

Thanks Enrico!

From Rome, Italy! I have fond memories for Rome from years back - among them the wine tastings...! (and the antiquities too of course) Folks are good hearted in Italy...! Enjoyed the visit immensely!

Welcome to the group Bill. Just ignore those thermometers and learn to cook by the seat of your pants. In the long run you'll be better off.

Welcome aboard Bill and great choice in smoker.

Don't go too hard on Weber, overall the cooker is solid - capable of cranking out Q as good or better than Q from smokers costing thousands more. I gave up on my lid thermo a long time ago and instead use a Mav 732 and Thermapen for temp management.

Welcome aboard Bill and great choice in smoker.

Don't go too hard on Weber, overall the cooker is solid - capable of cranking out Q as good or better than Q from smokers costing thousands more. I gave up on my lid thermo a long time ago and instead use a Mav 732 and Thermapen for temp management.

I'll go along with that! Thanks.

Welcome fellow Virginian, I hope you get the picture posting thing going soon so we an see some of that finished product

Welcome to the forum. I'm with you, seems like Weber could've spent a little more time in the details of the WSM. Other than the lid thermometer, I wish they would upgrade that flimsy aluminum door. It works great at the moment (2 weeks old) but I can see potential for issues down the road. Happy smokin'!

Back