Hello from Northern Wisconsin

David Dopke

Hi all, glad to meet ya.

Been grilling/smoking meat now for about 6-7 years since my wife and I decided to settle down and buy a house. Own a 22" Weber Kettle Mastertouch, an Akorn Auto Kamado (that's currently dead since the electronics failed, customer service sucks, and they've been out of stock on replacement ash pans to turn it into a regular Akorn), and a Recteq Flagship 1100 pellet grill.

My kettle is my workhorse since I love charcoal and wood chunks with the new pellet grill for bigger meals and for family/friends that don't quite like smoked food or charcoal.

Mostly came here because I have a ton of interest in my weber kettle and what people are up to with them. I have dreams of a Smokey Mountain but that's a fight with funds/space/wife about another charcoal thing. My Akorn will probably be trashed sooner than later though.

Hi David, WELCOME!!!!!! to both you and your wife.

DH is a big lover of cheese.

Welcome David, My Performer is my work horse, and for long smokes my 18.5 WSM, which I got off of CL for 125.00
Ask any question you want then when you cook take photos so we can see, and get hungry with you.

Last edited:
Hi David, Todd from Southern Wisconsin. You'll love the WSM for low and slow. Find a used one as that makes the pain from the better half easier to swallow. Did you enjoy no winter this year, LOL?
This was the weirdest year. Out there grilling and smoking in February in shorts and a t-shirt. Then last weekend shoveling while grilling in that sleet storm that gave us just over 9 inches of snow/ice. All of that is gone now by Thursday, but what a weird one.

I've done more winter outdoor cooking than any previous year.

I've checked the local craigslist/fb marketplace almost daily for months looking for a WSM. I'm more of a purchase new person, but my wife has really put her foot down about adding another outdoor cooker. Been hoping to find the deal of a lifetime, just hasn't happened for the last 6 months I've been checking.

Welcome David, My Performer is my work horse, and for long smokes my 18.5 WSM, which I got off of CL for 125.00
Ask any question you want then when you cook take photos so we can see, and get hungry with you.

What an ideal setup. I wish I had just spent the money on a performer over standard mastertouch but beggars couldn't be choosers when it was the first thing I bought after buying the house. Getting food onto and off the standard weber will always be my sole gripe about it.

This was the weirdest year. Out there grilling and smoking in February in shorts and a t-shirt. Then last weekend shoveling while grilling in that sleet storm that gave us just over 9 inches of snow/ice. All of that is gone now by Thursday, but what a weird one.

I've done more winter outdoor cooking than any previous year.

I've checked the local craigslist/fb marketplace almost daily for months looking for a WSM. I'm more of a purchase new person, but my wife has really put her foot down about adding another outdoor cooker. Been hoping to find the deal of a lifetime, just hasn't happened for the last 6 months I've been checking.
I understand on the wife. She did let me buy the WSM off marketplace, and I came home with 22" kettle as well as the lady let me have for $30 more. And she let me get the Weber Summit Kamado. But I've wanted to add a pellet grill and I have been told no....LOL. To be fair, I have added many accessories to the WSM and she doesn't enjoy the smoked meats as much as me....

I understand on the wife. She did let me buy the WSM off marketplace, and I came home with 22" kettle as well as the lady let me have for $30 more. And she let me get the Weber Summit Kamado. But I've wanted to add a pellet grill and I have been told no....LOL. To be fair, I have added many accessories to the WSM and she doesn't enjoy the smoked meats as much as me....

You can tell her the Pellet grill will not produce nearly the amount of smoked food, just great bbq foods and baked items. Tell her it's more of a wood fired oven.

My recteq makes amazing tasting food, but I wouldn't refer to it as "smoked." Just not the same in the end. That and you can tell her you can set it and forget it for hours to spend time with her more and still slowcook some amazing food for her!

Back