Hello everyone ..Thanks for letting me be here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Harvey

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I have been reading for two days and have learned I don't know half what I thought I did...lol... Man Please!!! ...you guys are great and thanks for sharing... I am delighted to be a new member and have really enjoyed the information and education...

I found this site two days ago looking for information on how to cook a brisket... Tomorrow will be my third attempt at this task... The first attempt was eatable... The second attempt...
(I had become an expert by then) was totally embarrassing.. I cooked for a bunch of my buddies on a fishing trip and the brisket was so tough we could not eat it... They laughed and poked fun at me and told it all over town about my cooking skills... Man Please!!! (the Rotary Club got a good laugh)

Well ... tomorrow is my third attempt...same bunch of buddies ... same meal... But this time I have the "knowledge" and the "know how"...just no experience ... LOL..

I bought a 10.30 lb. USDA Choice untrimmed Brisket w/ hard fat... I trimmed about 2.5 to 3 lbs. of fat off of it just like the instructions... I dusted that baby with the rub last night and raped it in foil and it's in the ref. right now waiting the smoking...

I plan on cooking all night..around 225 degrees until 185 interior temp.. I will turn it half way through the cooking and mop it.. Then turn it again and mop it about half way through the remaining time... I plan on putting it in a cooler and letting it rest until time to eat... I'm cooking whole potatoes and beans in the top grate of the smoker.. Cold beer and salad ...

Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated..

Thanks!!

bugg

Bill,

Welcome aboard, you won't go wrong following the advice from this forum. It sounds to me that your buddies don't appreciate the effort that went into your second attempt...you got it goin' this time what time is dinner? (Forget them ingrates) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like you're on track to have the last laugh.

BTW, you can use the little pencil-on-paper icon to fix those embarassing little spelling hiccups.

I was very pleased with the outcome of my brisket.. It cooked a little faster than I was expecting... I started out with approximately 7 1/2 lbs. of meat and was planning on smoking it for 12 hours.. I started smoking about 6 saturday morning... I turned and rubbed the brisket at 12 noon, the surface temp of the rack was about 250 degrees. I turned it again at three PM and check the temperature of the meat, around 150 degrees. The temperature of the grill was 275...a little hot. I got the temp. down to 250 and turned the meat again at 5 pm.. The meat was a beautiful dark brown and the temperature was about 190 degrees... I decided to remove it, I wrapped it in tinfoil and let it rest in a cooler for about 2 hours...

The point was falling apart tender... I separated it from the flat and pulled it into bite size pieces... I cut the flat into slices.. Both were delicious..and tinder..

We ate the whole brisket /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks for your help!!!

bugg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back