Heating Water in Water Pan

PCMancini

TVWBB Member
May be an obvious question BUT since mine is new...If I want to heat up the water in my water pan on my 18.5 WSM before starting the cook, can I put the pan directly on a burner (side burner on my gas grill.)

Thanks,
Paul

You could, but then you’ll have to lower it into your smoker with thick gloves on. I put the water pan into the smoker first and check it for stability before adding unheated water.

I guess so. Do a practice run before cooking time so you can see if the pan fits, and how long it takes to warm up. BTW, after a few cooks, the bottom of the water pan will get crusty with soot and creosote, and the gas burner may need to get swept off.
I've been happy with the initial water warm-up time on my WSM.

You could, but then you’ll have to lower it into your smoker with thick gloves on. I put the water pan into the smoker first and check it for stability before adding unheated water.
Jeff, Thanks. I use heavy gloves all the time when grilling and BBQing so no issue there. The stability thing is a worry through and I'd hate to have water dumped all over the coals - could make for a bad day. Overall, I'm just trying be a little more efficient. But good things to consider.

Paul

I would not recommend putting the Weber water pan directly onto hot flame (eg, your propane burner). Although I may be wrong, I don't think the paint/enamel on the water pan will hold up. What I'd worry about more is, water over 130 degrees can scald, and a Weber water pan sloshing around with 130+ hot water may not be safe, especially when lowering it into the middle section which is a bit akward, especially if the charcoal is already going and you're getting smoke in your face. Scalding hot water on your wrists or on your t-shirt (belly) makes for a bad day.

When I've used water in my 22, I usually get a one handled pot going with hot water (about 2 or 3 quarts) and then use that to fill my water pan. I get it pretty hot so that if I need to top off with colder water it the temp doesn't drop too much. The one handled pot allows an easier one armed reach down into the smoker, my favorite 3 qt one handled pot is about 13" from the tip of the handle to opposite side of the pot, so one like that should work on the 18" WSM.

Be Safe & Smoke em' good!

Back