HeaterMeter on the Raspberry Pi Model A+

Oh boy this is going to be fun to try and figure out! Mine is still up at the 11 hour mark right now. What wifi adapters are you two using? All my previous testing was with one of those generic RT5370 adapters. I have a rt8192cu in there now.

I'm running the Comfast CF-WU715n with the RT5370 chipset on the A+ at the moment. It's timed out again after about 12 hours. The indicator light on the wifi adapter was on steady and never blinking when it is timed out. When I reboot the HM it connects to the network without issue and the temperature data seems to be there for the entire period, so I think that means the HM was communicating with the rPi the whole time, even when the network connection had timed out.

Man, if the A+ has issues like this I am seeing a recall or some firmware update in the works. Hopefully the Raspberry group can afford it. It seems pretty steady across multiple WiFi adapters. This is why than anything that they should just integrate WiFi onto the boards. Who doesn't want to use WiFi with these things? NASA? Even they probably want WiFi for experiments on the ISS.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the disconnect issue extends out beyond the heater meter software to more standard linux installations, haven't tested it with anything other than the Heater Meter software to confirm... It may not be a rPi A+ issue as much as an issue with the heater meter software on the rPi A+...

Man, if the A+ has issues like this I am seeing a recall or some firmware update in the works. Hopefully the Raspberry group can afford it. It seems pretty steady across multiple WiFi adapters. This is why than anything that they should just integrate WiFi onto the boards. Who doesn't want to use WiFi with these things? NASA? Even they probably want WiFi for experiments on the ISS.

I can almost guarantee that this is an issue with OS and/or drivers and nothing related to the RasPi itself.

I was still up at 13 hours on the rt8192cu so I switched back to the RT5370 and disabled console blanking on the terminal. Hopefully this will fail and give me some sort of meaningful output.

I can't imagine what would cause it because the power seems to be fine. I tried last night with ieee80211 power saving on and off and couldn't see any difference other than the latency.

I'm gonna let mine run with the RT5370 until it times out for a third time (in 36 hours) and then I'll switch over to the Edimax and see what happens and will report back.....

Update:

I have not reset my HM and I still cant access the HM using IP address

But, my phone can access it without issue, using my .noip address and according to the graph it has been running for 14 hours.

Update:

Still have not touched the HM/A+

I am able to reach the HM via phone without issue, since noon yesterday

I figured out I can also reconnect to the Hm/A+ from my network by adding /luci to the IP address

Up time 15 hours

My RT5370 test system is approaching the 24 hour uptime point with no problems. I wish there was some reliable way to make it fail if it is going to.

Yah, I've got more than 16hr with the Edimax and still rolling, the RT5370 had always timed out by now, so it's looking like an issue with that chipset....

Mine has not really had any problems for about 36 hours now. So, Its Edimax for A+

The only problem with that is Access Point mode had not been working with the Edimax (I don't recall reading that it had been worked out?), and without a wired LAN port on the A+ that makes initial setup more difficult. With the RT5360 in an A+ with a fresh HM install AP mode starts up by default, a quick connect with a smart phone, tablet, laptop etc and you can configure the connection to your WiFi and your ready to roll. Without AP mode or LAN port, and no extra USB port to plug in a keyboard how do we scan and connect to a WiFi network?

Back