heat sink

Gary, I got the Broil King 69814 Grilling Stone from Amazon. It is a 15" diameter, .75" thick, ceramic composite grilling and pizza stone. Seems like it would be able to withstand the heat for pizza, so it should work for smoking, right???

Gary, I got the Broil King 69814 Grilling Stone from Amazon. It is a 15" diameter, .75" thick, ceramic composite grilling and pizza stone. Seems like it would be able to withstand the heat for pizza, so it should work for smoking, right???

Oh for sure, I love that big stone. It gets 500+ plus from me in the Keg all the time. The one thing you will find in comparison is the baking stone will take a lot longer to heat up than the thinner pizza stone given the extra mass.

I have a Maverick Laser surface temp thermometer and you would be surprised at how much heat that stone will absorb that's why it's so great for the WSM when you want to stay in lower temp range.

It's also why I don't use it for pizza because it takes so much longer to come up to temp than a regular pizza stone. There are various ways you can cook great pizza in your kettle, never tried it in the WSM but it could work if you left the lid off. The thing you have to remember is the temps of the stone will continue to rise in other words your first pizza may not be hot enough, the second just right and the 3rd too hot, depends on your set-up, depends on how many you are cooking and how you are firing your ...kettle..whatever. If I'm cooking one then I like the single stone and I wait `til it comes to the temp I want. If I am cooking multiple pizzas I will use two stones separated by an air space. It`s easier that way to level off the temps letting the lower stone take the direct heat.

If you want, send me a pm and I will send you some photos and other ideas which might help you. I don`t know what cookers you have available.

Last edited:

Back