Heartburn

DarylB

TVWBB Fan
Does anyone experience heartburn from bbq?

My wife has always said that she gets heartburn after eating bbq. Actually she used to just say that the smoke taste stayed with her too long but lately she is complaining about heartburn. Fortunately, not just from my bbq but any time she eats it. So I did some reading and I cant figure out for sure what is causing it. Nothing I have read says that smoke will cause it so I am thinking it is something in the ingredients. I'd like to figure it out so I can adust my recipes at least.

I dont use much sauce so it probably isnt tomato. The other day she said even the burgers gave her heartburn so I am thinking it must be something in the rub so I am probably going to use a salt, pepper, garlic mixture next and see what that does. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what you may have found the cause to be.

I have not had any issues, (** YET **), but I would also look at something in the rub that would potentially be the cause. That is the likely source.

She only gets it when eating things from the smoker or grill? Never any other time? When I worked doing HVAC service I had a lousy diet, breakfast consisted of coffee followed by coffee for lunch and then dinner which was usually rather healthy since my wife did the cooking back then. After years of doing this I used to get wicked heartburn all the time and eventually had very severe pain in my stomach. Apparently my diet was causing my stomach acid to eat the lining of my stomach. I cut out coffee and started eating 3 meals a day and had things back under control in no time. Anyway I'm not saying this is your wife's case but heartburn can be the first symptom of a stomach problem so if it didn't always happen when eating your BBQ and resently started she may want to mention it to her doctor.

Daryl,

Take a look at your rub labels. Look specifically for MSG. Maryann, my better half, is also a CBJ. When doing contests, she always is affected afterwards, sometimes for as long as 3 days! Not knowing for sure what was causing it, tried a little experiment using different rubs at home. She was affected only after I used rubs known to contain MSG.

In our case : we have found that using those round pink tablets ;) lessens the effects.

YMMV

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I make all of my rubs so I have to go back and look through the ingredients so see what is possibly aggrivating her. I'm going back to a simple rub and start there. I'd hate to think it has something to do with cooking with charcoal. I just got my 26" kettle and I am having a blast cooking on it.

And I tried to explain to her that it wouldnt be just the bbq. It would be the result of a few things and maybe something in the bbq was bringing it to her attention. Have you guys ever tried to explain to your wives that maybe it is something they are doing and possibly it isnt as simple as saying I cant eat "X"? Not as easy as I would have expected. :(

It might also be from the charcoal you are using. Briquettes may have additives. Hardwood would not. It could also just be the issue of smoke. One way you might want to test it out is on whiskey. Some whiskey's are very smokey. Others are not. Sounds like an enjoyable evening of testing and tasting. Or just buy a bottle of liquid smoke, add it to a drink and see if the same thing happens.

I am of "advanced" age. I had heartburn most of my adult life. I couldn't eat cookies, drink beer (even one bottle), and any number of things. After many years of this, it got worse. My doctor diagnosed my condition and said it was acid reflux. An internist verified this. I was given a prescription of Prevacid (it is now over the counter, I believe). At any rate, I take one capsule a day. I used to have to sleep with a bottle of antacid on the nightstand. Now, I am heartburn free. That little capsule keeps me safe;). At any rate, that might or might not be your wife's condition.

However, a good physician can make that determination. She shouldn't wait - it won't go away by itself.

FWIW
Dale53

Heartburn is caused by stomach acid backing up into the esophagus. Discuss with a doctor before taking self-prescribed medicines. Maybe nothing, maybe something doctor will see via testing

I have lots of heartburn at times and for me the problems are: white bread and almost anything with normal wheat flour (pulled pork on a bun or hamburgers), fresh paprika/bell peppers (maybe dry paprika in your rub), salami style sausage, canned tuna, cucumber (worse if not peeled), red wine. At the moment it has been a while since i had it but white bread seems to be the trigger for me.

Daryl, call (or email) Doctor Zorba Pastor...
They just talked about this in the past week or two... it may or may not be acid reflux, but you can call, ask your questions and get REAL answers in return. SERIOUSLY!

Good luck!

I would get heartburn/stomache acid from eating smoked foods. I love the flavor, and everything is great until a few hours later and I would get the acid reflux. I changed my diet a lot in the past year and am eating much more healthy and I've notcied my stomache problems have settled down significantly. However before eating very spicey food, or smoked foods I take a generic equivilent of Nexium and I typically don't have any problems. As others have said, have your wife talk to her doctor. :)

Back