Guidance on a cast iron dutch oven

Mike_Mc

TVWBB Member
Hey all,

So I am interested in getting a dutch oven (at least I think so) to accompany my WSM. I think the idea of chili and stews on that thing sounds fun and delicious. Can any of you direct me to the proper dutch oven. I checked Lodge's site and saw two different models (camp fire and regular) and I am not sure of the differences in use. I also have no idea on a good size for use in the smoker.

I am putting this on the Christmas list for the family...so if I could avoid having to get the most expensive dutch oven ever that would probably make my chances better.

Thanks for all your help as always.

mm

I don't have much usage experience but started looking a bit earlier than you... so here's the "obvious in hindsight" stuff I figured out so far :

1. First impression is that the camp fire version is the only option for cooking on coals and the regular version is the only version for cooking inside, but I have seen regular dutch ovens sitting happily in/on a camp fire and seen camp fire versions sitting happily in an oven as long as you put them on a cookie sheet.

2. The things that seem problematic are putting a camp fire version on a kitchen stove (a lot of recipes call for initial heating/saute/bring to boil on the stove before going in the oven) or on the cooking grate of a kettle or WSM unless you have a flat pan/sheet for the legs to rest on.

3. Nobody seems to complain about having too many ;)

The main thing to think about IMO is how you're going to get it out from the lower grate of the WSM (which is where you might want it to catch drippings). Regular side handles will be a challenge with a large pot, although a 10" should be OK... the spiral bail handle seems like it would have trouble holding the pot level if you grab it with a hook (although I guess you could use a hook to get it high enough to grab with a glove), which leads me to think that the main choices are :

- a 10" regular dutch oven with side handles (and some good long gloves to pick it up with)... I was thinking about :

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=4082

- any size of camp fire dutch oven with a hook to lift by the wire handle (I couldn't find the hooks on the Lodge web site for some reason)

- the chicken fryer or similar (10" deep skillet with lid) and at least one good long glove

Given the above, I started with a lodge chicken fryer, basically a ~4 qt "deep skillet" with lid. It fits on either upper or lower grate of my 18.5 WSM, and also works on the Performer or with the kitchen stove/oven. The downside is that the handle you lift with gets drippy and greasy if you put it on the lower grate and cook something tasty on the upper grate.

If you're pretty sure that you won't need to use it on the kitchen stove, I would look hard at a 12" camp fire dutch oven with the lifting hook. You'll need to dig up a pizza pan or something to rest the feet on, but otherwise it should be pretty much "do it all".

Last edited:
Mike unless you are going out back cooking for some ranchers I would start off with one of these guys!
05D492A5-55F4-494E-AF81-A1B44EFEE39E-4997-000005AA3C192189.jpg

Pre seasoned.. Ready to cook! Fits on the grill or stove or oven real good! Heck if you wanted to throw it on the camp fire you could do that too!

Great thing about it is the lid doubles at a nice pan so if you don't use the pot, well least your using something right?!
I have several of the camp type ovens but for house hold use I would
highly recommend this one!

Take care!

Hi Mike,

I use my many Dutch Ovens (Regular and Camp Stove) all the time. Comparing the two, the standard Dutch Oven is essential a great Cast Iron Pot for sticking in or over a heat source like a fire, grill or oven. The Camp Stove is more of a standalone cooking device because of its legs underneath and a lipped top which is meant to hold direct coals. The Camps legs give you the room to place coals underneath and the lip on the top holds the coals from rolling off. This top-bottom heat source allows you to make/bake anything from Breads and cake, to Stews and roasts without using anything but coals and the Camp Dutch Oven. A Regular Dutch Oven can do much of the same, but it needs outside support. It does not have the legs to allow unstable coals to be placed underneath, something has to hold it up (Like a Grill Grate) The regular DO typically has a rounded lid that just wouldn't cut it when trying to hold charcoal on top. My Regular Dutch Ovens work great when suspended over a fire, or placed on a Grill Grate, or even thrown in or on a regular indoor Stove (Heats oil for fried chicken like nothing else out there). My Camp Dutch Ovens work great when I go camping or to an event with nothing more than some charcoal and the oven itself. I did a Mac-n-Cheese day at work just a few weeks ago. It was great. See the pics in the Photo Gallery

If you plan on using your DO in a smoker, on a grill, or even in the house, I would recommend the regular Dutch Oven. Especially indoors, as John mentioned above, the legs of a Camp do not like indoor stove tops very much and even though you can set Camp legs through a Grill Grate, they won't be sliding out of the way when needed. However, if you never plan on bringing that DO indoors, and you think you might get into the wonders of Dutch Oven cooking (without the grill), then a Camp Dutch Oven might be the way to go.

In my personal opinion and circumstance, my Camp Ovens never see anything except coals (Typically 8 brikets under, 16 on top). They don't go in my grills or in my smoker, ever. Whenever I ever put something on my grills, it is a regular Dutch Oven. Everyone will be different, but if I were planning to use a Dutch Oven in a smoker, I would recommend looking at the regular Dutch Ovens.

Ok, enough about that. Lets talk size. For a Regular Dutch Oven, I love my 10 1/4 dia with a spiral bail, but John above makes a great point for the loop handles. I'll let you decide that on your own. The main point is the 10in size. Any bigger and you may have too much space. Any smaller and many recipes run out of room. Now, for my Camp Oven, I use my 12in more than any others. The 14 is too big and requires most recipes to be doubled or more. The 10 just doesn't have enough room (For a Camp). In regards to Camps, I judge it with a boxed cake mix. Open the box, mix it up, and bake. With a 10in Camp, it's WAY too tall. With a 14in Camp, it's way too thin. 12in Camp, and the cake comes out perfect.

Most cases, I would recommend looking hard at the 10 1/4 - 5 qt Regular Dutch Oven. Unless you have a REALLY BIG family, then jumbo size it with the 12in - 7qt.

HOWEVER, for you (On a budget), do you already have a Cast Iron Skillet? Lodge has a nifty option called the 'Double Dutch Oven'. It's a 10in 5qt Regular Dutch Oven, but the lid 'Doubles' as a 10in Skillet. You get not only the perfect size Dutch Oven, but also a great size Skillet for using on the Grill. If you are looking to break into the wonderful world of CI, this might be the best 2 in 1 option for you. (Looks like Morgan beat me to the post. He even included a picture of the 'Double'. Nice work!!)

Last edited:
John Bridgman...

You are right. The camp version is a much different beast and not a good choice for use on a grill. The leg provide room for coals while the rim on the lid permits adding coals to the top of the oven. Also, the lid can be turned upside down and used as a griddle. Beside a few other cooking pots, we use our dutch ovens for all things cooked while camping. Love them.

Tried multiple handle types thru the years ending up with this one... http://www.mairdutchovenlifter.com/

Bob

John Osmond... We probably posted about the same time. Great information !!!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your help. I think I'll probably go with one of the standard Dutch ovens. I think that will fit my needs perfectly. Hopefully if I'd grab one of these things for Christmas I'll be able to post some delicious looking pics of things I make. Thanks again everybody.

mm

Better late than never... I use my camp dutch oven on family camping trips on wood fires. Yes, burning own wood for embers take a while. At home, I use my SJG as a fire pit and put the dutch oven in there. I use lump or briqs. Have done fried chicken (wings), gumbo, and coq au Vin, etc in the backyard. Keeps the house fume free. Tried the baking and coals on the lid thing a few times and gave up. The kitchen electric oven works too well, and the smell of baking bread is wonderful.

I have the camp versions and use them all the time on my performer and GSM. That said I always struggle with the legs.

Mike

Back