Ground Beef Jerky Time

So even the meat probes are not displaying actual temps? Because with both the MM and Big Z I have laid the meat probes in there and they run right along with the sensor very closely
The probe you use to measure meat temp will give you accurate measurements because the ports on the controller don’t feed through the PID controller. Big Z is a winner.

Yeah, the MM does not have a "setting" lower than 200. But it will "hold" pretty well between 165ish to 190ish depending on P1, 2 or 3 setting. And the ambient conditions. I.E. temps and wind. But Big Z actually has temp settings down to 160 and it holds like a rock. If I am not on a "P" setting the MM holds like a rock as well even on the meat probes as well

Back in the day, we used to go to Bullards Bar Reservoir (before there was a marina and gas on the lake)

We used to hit up Tuff Stuff Jerky on the way up and on the way back. Absolutely amazing jerky. The people were awful, some of the most unpleasant people you'll ever meat (see what I did there) but the jerky made up for the cringe

Off on the burger jerky adventure today! Propping the lid open and setting the Member's Mark pellet grill on the P3 setting and watching for a flame-out. 30 minutes in so too soon to tell but the pooper thinks it's at 196F and the probe at the rack is showing an average of 174.1F. I've got the lid propped open with a piece of aluminum bar stock.

Here's the stats according to a nearby weather station:

1692826302365.png

3h15m and it's done. We used 1.5# of 90% ground sirloin (it's what we had in the freezer) and the Jerkyholic's Original Ground Beef Jerky recipe, minus the corriander (thought we had some but couldn't find it.)

QUITE TASTY! Thanks so much, Lew!

EDIT: I'm going to add...now that the jerky has cooled some, it really has a nice smoky flavor to it...even the wife likes it!

Last edited:

Back