Grilling Pizza

No. Not sure why you would need it. Just lay the pizza on the grate. Also, grilled pizzas require 300-350 degrees in my experience to get the crust done and browned and also to heat the toppings adequately. So you'd have to fire up the smoker quite a bit hotter than normal smoking temp.

Steve Raichlin publishes a method for grilled pizza that works great. It is a FAVORITE in our house.

I just do it directly on the grate.

-Matt

Yes, I've made pizza using the product you show. It's okay, but not stellar; I didbn't like the crust it produced.

The best is William Sonoma's pizza stone on the grill. It's expensive ($99) but unbelievably good.

Gary.

We were given a stone as a wedding present some 15 years ago. It went into storage and just uncovered itself earlier this year. I love it. I cook on the top grate of the WSM, empty water pan (in case stuff starts to drip).

Joe what temperatures are you holding for the pizza cook in the WSM? How much Kingsford are you using - 2 chimneys full? Any wood? This is a configuration I'd like to try (less bending over!) - I have trouble getting high temps but maybe I'm not using enough fuel. I'm looking for at least 550, preferably higher.

Didn't I see somewhere a configuration that had the charcoal grate set on the lower grate's flanges?

Thanks,
Rita

Rita,

I've never complicated the setup. I use Royal Oak lump, probably 1.5 chimney worth. I didn't bother to try to track temperature. I left to door open for some of the cook, and maybe the lid cracked a bit. I also heated up the stone prior to cooking and sprinkled some corn meal on the surface.

Thanks, Joe. My indoor pizzas are usually done in 5-6 minutes or less at 550 convection, stone on the top oven rack, as hot as I can get my oven. I was able to get my antique oven up to 650-700 - sure do miss it.

For a great texture on crust bottoms, I use yellow grits (Arrowhead Mills)instead of cornmeal on my stone.

Rita

Real pizza at a real pizzaria using a real pizza oven is cooked at temperatures ranging between 1000 - 1200 F. It's a veeeeery quick baking process. And that saying nothing detrimental about pizza made in the WSM.

Just last week I made English muffin pizzas on my 22.5 inch kettle. (set up for indirect heat).
I know thats not real pizza, but they were very tasty nonetheless!

Here is a second for raichlen pizza. Its something like this:

- sautee a bunch of chopped fresh garlic and rosemary in a small pan with olive oil until brown
- grate about 10 ounces of asgio cheese
- start two zone fire (half double coals, half single)
- work olive oil into dough until stretched thin
- lay dough on clean, oiled grill. Cook 2 minutes or until dough is crisp. Move to cooler zone if it starts burning.
- flip and put olive oil, garlic and rosemary on bread followed by grated cheese

Here I deviate from his recipe. after a minute or so I move the pizza to the cool zone and put the lid on the weber kettle to help melt the cheese. You really have to keep an eye on the crust to make sure it doesn't burn.

this is our favorite pizza.

Back