Grilling and chilling in Germany

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
Tomorrow, were headed to Germany. While I can say that they dont bbq there, I've seen some of the best grilling there. Germany offers an exciting array of cuts of pork there that we dint normally see here. Same goes for beef, but we have better cuts here. Anyway, I'm psyched, and I'll be sending pics.

My son was stationed in Germany nearly twenty years ago. My wife and I made three trips there in as many years. We stayed a total of nine weeks. My son lived "on the economy" (with a German family) and we got to know several of the German families there.

We were in Bavaria and grilling was unknown there at that time. My son had his gas grill there and I grilled chicken for a mixed family dinner. The Germans couldn't get enough of the chicken (good thing I had grilled extras).

Those nine weeks were some of the most memorable times my wife and I ever had. I found the German people of our acquaintance as fine a people as I have met. We were treated to many kindnesses.

We traveled extensively in Southern Germany, as well as Austria and France.

FWIW
Dale53

Steven,

Where will you be going in Germany? If you are anywhere near a town called Idar Oberstein, be sure to try their "spiessbraten". It is grilled over an open fire pit and is fantastic. You may find it in other areas if you ask for it.

Also, another German specialty that I love is "schweinshaxe" and you can get this all over Germany. It is a roasted pig knuckle that falls off the bone and is a "must" to try.

I lived in Germany for almost 3 years in the 60's and really enjoyed it. Travelled back there in early 90's on business for at least 30 trips. Wonderful people and culture.

Enjoy your trip.

Ray

Steven i guess that you will have a great time! There is still a bigger BBQ vein in Germany then what you would find in Sweden. I would dive in to some nice schnitzel or Wursts. And ofc there beer! Be sure to report back!

Back