Grilled Quail Recs

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone got any ideas for quail? I have a 6 pack frozen of them now. The whole 6 pack of whole skin on quails weighs 28 oz, so they are small small small. I didn't know quail was that little. Seems like it is going to be tough to cook them without drying out. I really want crispy skin since the squab I cooked the skin came out dang near chewy leather. Like smoked chicken skin almost but worse.

Thanks fellers. Any ideas you got on grilling let me know. May like to stuff them too if that would help on the drying out/overcooking issue.

For your quail, I would try 1 or 2 first, not all 6. They will be like pheasant on a smaller scale, so be careful
not to dry them out by over cooking. Try stuffing with pre cooked Italian sausage with dice grilled onions,
and some crumbled bacon. Rub the outside of the bird with softened butter. Baste again 1/2 way during the cook.
Send me a drumstick, it will probably only need 1 stamp!

When I grill quail, I usually stuff them with chopped up duck hearts and garlic, and rub with salt and pepper. Roughly 20 minutes indirect and some quick direct to crisp up the skin.

Well I deboned the breasts, so I have little quail steaks with the wings and legs still on them. The wings and legs didn't get deboned so there is some structure to the bird. They look good all but the legs. Whoever at the processor cut the arse end of the bird out took a whole hell of a lot of skin and whatever else with them and the legs are barely held on by a sliver of skin. Upsets me because the pictures o've seen before of semi deboned birds have a good thick layer of skin between the two and it looks like the legs are still attached to the bird better. These are only held on by the skin.

Anyone have any pictures of trussing a bird, or tying it when it's like this? I am either gonna stuff and grill or just grille them flat, or may do half and half. That's the route I'll probably go since I want to taste the quail meat straight up and not seasoned a whole lot. I want to know what quail meat tastes like on it's own for the first time kinda. Makes me think if I understand that well the next time I'll know what I can do with it to make it even better and more highly seasoned. Kinda get the base flavor figured out and move from there in the future.

Thanks ahead for any insight guys!

I've never tried to debone a quail, neither have I tried to brine them, since they just turn out perfect as they are, with a bit of salt and pepper.

Well I deboned them and stuffed them, no brine. They were good! I have a picture up in the Photo Gallery, although it is just that.... One pic. I didn't take the time to do a good job documenting the cook as usual. They turned out great though. I love those little birds now.

Quail are native to this area. Until I got too old to roam the hills I did a LOT of hunting. Bird hunting with a good scattergun (mine is a Beretta Silver Snipe over/under) is just about as good as it gets. I had some memorable quail hunts. My wife did them in the oven after brining them. They were only WONDERFUL. These days, I would brine, cook indirect and watch the temps carefully before hitting direct for a minute or so a "side".

They ARE small but, extremely tasty. My three kids grew up eating wild meat and have few food prejudices. My son-in-law is carrying the tradition along to his children. They help out dressing antelope, deer, and elk along with ducks and turkeys. They know where food comes from and will have few food prejudices. They are enthusiastic little helpers (he is five and she is eight).

When we were visiting them in Salt Lake City we grilled the whole time we were there. Ray is an enthusiastic griller and his children (our grandchildren) help with preparing most of the food for the grill.

Dale53

I respect you and your son for eating like that. That's how we are too with deer, turkeys, and pigs but sadly hunting small game birds never was in my family's repertoire. I'd like to hunt dove and quail but I'm 90% sure I'd have to go to a hunting area where they're raised since they aren't plentiful here.

They aren't really as gamey as I thought. I had squab a little bit after the quail and it was very gamey and delicious, but that lighter quail flavor was as good too and I enjoyed it. If you've never had pigeon (squab) get one soon! It's great if you like game animals.

Back