Grilled Octopus and Spanish Tapas

OK. Hit the mark for me. Thanks Jay.

Spanish, Italian, Greek (heck Mediterranean in general). I have family still in Northern Spain.

Anyway -ANYTIME I have opportunity to try a restaurants take at polpo/octopus, etc (baby or adult
icon_smile.gif
) I do. Grilled, marinated, saute, whatever. Just totally enamored by it and want to learn to cook/prep it. Not to mention I love to eat it.

And white sardines, holy smoke just had some of those from a Tapas/Spanish deli (along with octopus) on Saturday in NYC - Desapana. The grilled octopus at Kefi is also excellent (Columbia Ave).

The marinated/grilled octopus at Zorbas in Philly is also excellent.

Just did my own take on white anchovy pizza just last week - had some nice ones from DiBrunos, a local deli. They were very good quality and I was snacking on them all week until I got to the pizza. Now to get fresh and do the prep would be most excellent. Figure I can get those in Philly when I want to give that a go.

Any chance I got I tried both in Italy last year.

So again - thanks for the photos, detail and tips.

I'll be doing octopus soon/grilling some. But knowing a SV method works is good news. Hmm, 170 I can probably do without the tank/special gear but that will be coming soon as well. But I'll definitely be doing with/without SV gear. Definitely don't need SV to do good polpo.

As always - great photo and back story.

That cook was way over the tapa! I am becoming fascinated with the SV machine now. I mist ask though. Could it be prepared in a crock pot since I don't have an SV, or does it make a big difference?

BTW, maybe it's a good time to try the Japanes Octopuss Balls. I forget what they were rightly called.

Great pictures by the way! Please keep posting those.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
That cook was way over the tapa! I am becoming fascinated with the SV machine now. I mist ask though. Could it be prepared in a crock pot since I don't have an SV, or does it make a big difference? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could prepare some things in a crock pot but you have basically no control over the temperature so the cooking methods can't really be compared.

You could, however, attach a PID controller to your crock pot and get a pretty good level of functionality for sous vide cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R
BTW, maybe it's a good time to try the Japanes Octopuss Balls. I forget what they were rightly called.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, please share
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmm, please share
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Takoyaki! I forgot that they were called. I know you could nail them to the wall JB!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Takoyaki! I forgot that they were called. I know you could nail them to the wall JB! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

believe me, it was the first thought that cross my mind when I knew the cooking part worked. I have a takoyaki pan that I haven't even used yet. I think I'm going to bag the octopus with kombu and bonito shavings, and cube the finished tentacles for the takoyaki.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You could, however, attach a PID controller to your crock pot and get a pretty good level of functionality for sous vide cooking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's what I did. the bag was pretty small and it seemed silly to crank up the huge food warmer. If you dont want to invest in the PID controller, you could just check what kind of temp your crockpot will hold at its lowest setting. Another option is to use a low oven to maintain the temp of a water filled dutch oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Now to get fresh and do the prep would be most excellent. Figure I can get those in Philly when I want to give that a go.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I followed this recipe for boquerones, and subbed sardines for anchovies

Hey thanks. The ones I got from the counter were very fresh as it was. Except they were cleaned for me. I think they got them from the food distribution center supplier that delivers to the Ardmore market daily.

They kept very nice all week as I was munching on them. So close to fresh ones have got to be readily attainable if I run down to Philly.

An for the polpo - I know the SV thing is exciting. Heck I'm excited about it. But - I will be making LOTS of polpo without the need for SV. Try it now - no need to get in to thinking you need SV gear for octopus to turn out tastey. It's been done for centuries without it.

I just want to find a good source for fresh octopus not frozen and I think I might have that licked already.

Gotta love Jay's posts - I want to be on the list for a signed encyclopedia set
icon_smile.gif

Was at Momofuku on Saturday and it was everything I expected actually. A wild trip. Folks were telling me how close my ramen and pork buns were
icon_smile.gif
Have to thank Jay for getting me all cranked up about it. The ribs are next
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was at Momofuku on Saturday and it was everything I expected actually. A wild trip. Folks were telling me how close my ramen and pork buns were Smiler Have to thank Jay for getting me all cranked up about it. The ribs are next Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear that. The buns are really easy to duplicate, and are just too dang good.

Are you talking about the Fatty Cue ribs?

Too funny. I move so much slower than you. I was talking about MMF ribs. But yeah - you know I saved and will be doing that whole Fatty Q thing.

My day job takes a huge chunk out of my day
icon_smile.gif
Plus there's all this other stuff I like to do.

It's a tough life being a "renaissance man" when you have to actually work for a living
icon_smile.gif

Any way had a great ride on my '59 beemer project today - that's my courier trans now and how I make an excuse to get out, take a ride and pick up some victuals for the night's dinner
icon_smile.gif

Octopus and white sardines will be a big part of this "seasons" cooks at least AFA component/ingredient I play with. Got lots in my head to try, not sure how much will get done.

I need to "retire".

Enjoy your posts Jay - please keep them coming.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was talking about MMF ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh duh! I had pork ribs on my mind, I wasn't thinking beef.

Phenomenal cooking and photography, Jeff.
I am afraid that this forum will be that for you a little.
I'm from central Europe and sea creatures do nothing for me. But ... It looks absolutely fantastic!
(as well as all your posts, I had the honor to see / read)

Back