grill mod. 4 top rack grilling, adjustable...

M. VanderArk

Some quick mods that allow the coals to get closer to the cooking grate. These are adjustable to a desired hight, stainless steel as well. What do you think? Also, my first smoke job with a ham...Honey bourbon glaze with applewood.
photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

photo.php

Very creative mod! I like it. Are you using a ring to contain the coals from falling off the sides as you dump them onto the grate?

Forget the charcoal grate question...I see the purpose now.
Do you have a list of parts? Namely, the tabs with the rings.

I see another feature of this mod geared more for the 22. If the water pan tabs were by cut or otherwise bypassed you could lower a grate further into the smoker. From my recollection of the 22 there is an abundance of clearance between the bottom of the water pan and the charcoal ring. This could create other ideas for grilling or coals...whatever.
I sort of did something similar by welding a 3rd set of grill tabs to my grill straps. This idea is similar except it offers more flexibility.

I like that mod. I have an 18.5", I wonder if I could put another grate in between the two I have so to fit another rack of ribs.....

I like that mod. I have an 18.5", I wonder if I could put another grate in between the two I have so to fit another rack of ribs.....

Yes Mike you can do that fairly easily if you are handy or have a friend that is. There are a couple of ways. Remove the grill straps and weld another tab on the middle of the two...4". You could also drill the grill strap and attach that way but the screw head would have to be countersunk and flush with the back of the strap for a clean fit. You could drill right through the mid section into the centre of each grill strap and bolt direct but to me that is the least desirable. I used 4 metal mirror holders, they are little metal tabs with a screw hole in them for drywall so I just tack welded them in place on the grill straps. I also have a Hover Grill which will sit on the top grate just the clearing the lid. I can get 4 levels on my 18.5.

Back