Gonna put new tires on the truck

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Its due. But I've got one tire that's only got about 15,000 miles on it. Was a road hazard replacement.

Do I replace all four tires or just the the three that are worn ?

You could probably get away with three if you start the used one on the back of the truck where it won't wear as fast. Another possibility is to have them swap the 15,000 mile tire with the spare if it's full sized and you will still have four new tires.

Sort of depends..... if you have a limited slip differential, then both wheels on the axle should have the same rolling diameter. 15,000 miles of wear may start to put undue wear on clutch packs or gearing in a Gleason-Torsen setup. Additionally, if you're customarily in AWD, you also have a 3rd differential in the middle of the vehicle to be concerned about. BTW, if any of this applies in your case, I'd also expect that you should have a full size spare (and not a temporary donut.) Generally, the advice about 4 new is where I'd go.

I've been going to the same tire dealer for over 20 years. Even if I had made up my mind about what to do, I would ask them what they recommend and consider their recommendation.

Rule of thumb: If it's 4 wheel drive, always replace all 4. If not, 3 is OK as long as you already have a good spare. As others pointed out, if you don't have a good spare, replace all 4 and now you do.

Yep. Things like limited slip, or 4WD/AWD change the whole equation and even a slight difference can blow a differential or transfer case. Seen it happen. Getting all 4 is cheap insurance

Back