Getting bacon done evenly?

I'm doing two slabs of bacon, both about 3-4 inches wide and about 10 inches long. No matter how I position them, the outside 2-3 inches get more heat coming up along the outsides of the WSM. I was monitoring the temp in the thickest part towards the outside edge. When it got to 145, I switched the probe to the center, where it only read 131.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it more evenly all the way across? I'm a little concerned that when the middle gets to 140, which is the minimum, the outside fat will be starting to render.

At this point wrap it around; deflect from all sides but don't make the foil on the top snug. Have some airspace between the meat and foil.

David, For low temp cooks like Bacon which I cook in the 150-160 temp range I use a 16" round pizza stone set on the lower grate tabs. This leaves about 7/8" of space between the stone and the outside wall of the mid section. It gives you less of the high heat zone on the outside edge and helps to block some of the heat but still allows the smoke to flow up. Im sure you could do the same thing with a clay saucer. Ideally a 17" stone or saucer would be the sh!t but I haven't been able to find one yet. It's either 16" or 18". If you find one, please let me know.
icon_smile.gif

Here's a pic of the stone inside the WSM, not that good of a pic. HTH
JDCYR-pizzastone002.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I use a 16" round pizza stone set on the lower grate tabs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent idea.

That's a good idea, Bryan. I use a clay saucer, but the diameter is just a tiny bit smaller than the stock water pan, so it just sits inside there.

Thanks Kevin, for the foil suggestion. That helped.

Back