Genesis Australia to UK

Andy Matthews

I bought a new Genesis in Sydney roughly 18 months ago , I have now been relocated back to UK.
weber have basically said “scarp” my BBQ as it can’t be converted.
This is sort of expected given potential litigation if someone does use it without any conversions and has a bad time.
Now I don’t exactly want CE mark and validation according to local gas laws etc BUT I am not prepared to trash a virtually new BBQ and waste 1000s$
Apart from a new regulator and hose what else would need converting to make it safe and useable.
many thanks in advance

Sigh. If it is LPG you just need a connector that fits UK LPG gas bottles if they are different to AU gas bottles.
If NG just the correct connectors.
"Now I don’t exactly want CE mark and validation according to local gas laws"
If you are cool with this, it is not a problem.

My buddy managed to convert his Genesis back at the time from US to UK. He still has it. IDK what he did. I have to think since both countries are on metric it should not be al that hard

As long as we are not going from NG to LP or vice versa, then I would think simply changing out the hose and regulator and connector is all that is necessary.

Hi Andy,

I'd find the schematic with parts diagram for your current grill on weber's website
I would then find the UK equivalent for that grill and compare the propane hose plus regulator parts and order one.

Post a pic of your grill and/or the part number.

I believe Australia is 100 percent propane in the refillable tanks vs some mix of propane and butane.
If the UK is also 100 percent propane then the difference if any would be the screw-in connector to the propane tank.

Ok so main difference as I can see
Australian spec main burner injector size 1.10mm
UK 0.94mm
obviously this means Australian consumption is higher ?
both use gas category 2.8 KPa
regulators are different UK 37mb , but Australian 27 mb

would like someone who knows a bit more about gas pressure etc to say will it be safe just to put new UK gas hose and regulator on my Australian Genesis

It looks like Aussie ones run on lower pressure. Which is why it would need larger orifices. So you might find the Aus. grill running a bit too hot with UK regulator. Now, how much too hot? Well TBD. Unsafe? Again, IDK how much of a safety factor is built in. Maybe you can find a sacrificial grill once back in UK?

would like someone who knows a bit more about gas pressure etc to say will it be safe just to put new UK gas hose and regulator on my Australian Genesis

That someone isn't me.

Without knowing why the Aus version is different from the UK version, what if the only thing changed was the connector to the tank?

Pressure of propane in a tank should be the same anywhere on the planet, right?

That someone isn't me.

Without knowing why the Aus version is different from the UK version, what if the only thing changed was the connector to the tank?

Pressure of propane in a tank should be the same anywhere on the planet, right?
In the tank yes. That's chemistry and physics (I guess). Different countries may have different specs for standard LP or NG appliance pressures.

Ok so main difference as I can see
Australian spec main burner injector size 1.10mm
UK 0.94mm
obviously this means Australian consumption is higher ?
both use gas category 2.8 KPa
regulators are different UK 37mb , but Australian 27 mb

I would see if the part #'s for the burner tubes and manifold are the same between both versions of the grill. If they are, then simply changing the hose and regulator should be sufficient.

Back