GBS Griddle

JasonRobinson

Need some suggestions about surface management for the griddle insert. The current surface of the griddle is kinda rough compared to my regular cast iron skillets. So that would limit some of my cooking options whenever I decide to use it. I'm considering using my wire brush drill attachment to grind the surface smooth for better cooking results. Has anyone had to do this before?

I was reading about cast iron and there was a link to a few 'myths' this week, one of the things they said was vintage cast iron gives a better non-stick surface due to the roughness of the surface from the way they were cast. Modern smooth ones and generally not as good.

I would try it out for a while as is before going crazy with a wire brush. I own a GBS griddle but not used it yet.

I've also considered using a wire brush drill attachment on my CI, but after doing a bit of research, I've decided not to go there. Below is what The Cast Iron Collector has to say:

"The use of power tools also risks leaving permanent grinding marks or swirls in the metal. Sand or bead blasting will also slightly but permanently alter the original surface texture." http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php

The website has lots of good information! Hope this helps! linda

I was reading about cast iron and there was a link to a few 'myths' this week, one of the things they said was vintage cast iron gives a better non-stick surface due to the roughness of the surface from the way they were cast. Modern smooth ones and generally not as good.

I think you have that backwards. Its pretty common knowledge that older CI generally have much smoother surfaces than most modern equivalents. Even Lodge products of 10-15 years ago came with a smoother surfaces then what they sell today. Like everything else these days, manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs and increase profits. How that relates to CI is, less finishing work at the factory increases productivity and lowers costs.

Now what to do about newer rough surface CI and how smooth should they be? That's where the debates comes in. Some say leave it alone and just scrape them hard with metal utensils as your cooking and eventually with enough use they will smooth out. On the other end of the spectrum, some grind or sand the CI to almost a glass smooth finish. The problem with that is, too smooth and it will have problems seasoning.

I went down the middle. I used a flap disk in my grinder (I don't remember if I used 80 or 100grit?) and just took down the high spots. I admit, after doing so I had some issues with the initial seasoning but that may have been my technique? (I never seasoned CI from scratch before). Its not pretty but after the initial seasoning and a few cooks, it's working pretty good (i.e. eggs are no problem and do not stick)

Back