Gasket or no gasket for hinge mod

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
I have a lid hinge on the way here.
The guy I bought my 18 wsm gave me a bunch of extra gasket material.
I’m not sure if I need to even install a lid gasket but I might since it works great on my kettle.
Do I run install the hinge without a lid gasket and just leave it gasketless or do I install the gasket then fit the hinge to it?
Is there enough room there to oval the holes if needed so I can run it either way?
I'm probably over thinking this but I just don’t want to be painted into a corner so to speak.
What do you guys advise?

I don’t have any gasket material on mine but, I don’t have the hinge either. But, I think I’d install the gasket first and mark for the hinge after. Measure twice (thrice, whatever) drill once. The position will change with the addition of the gasket, maybe only a little but, enough for the holes to shift and why make extra work “fixing the holes” when you can wait and drill them in the better spot after the gasket goes on.
Just my way of thinking on the subject. Others may have a different point of view.

I’ll preface by saying I don’t have a gasket either, but have thought of it for future updates. I don’t know how thick the gasket is, I would think the lid has enough weight to seal to the gasket wherever it lands and wouldn’t bind the hinge any. At least that was my initial thought before @Timothy F. Lewis chipped in, that makes sense too. Hopefully you eventually get someone in here that actually knows what they’re talking about haha

I already had the gasket, but I redid it before adding the hinge. I went the opposite way on my kettle, deciding I needed the hinge later and it didn't work out as well. I'm going to have to drill out the holes some to make the lid fit right.

I’m going to cook a pork butt in a day or so with out any hinge or gasket mods and see how it goes.
It might not even need a seal and I’m just fine with that.
If it does need a gasket I’ll deal with then rather than just jumping the gun and assuming it needs it.

Enough “seasoning” and the gasket is not required at least that’s my take on it. In fact mine seals quite nicely with nothing more than the normal gunk. I suppose the door could be tighter but, I’m not having any problems…”If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Back